PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

line streching

Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

line streching

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi all
I give you a brake from didactics, asking this question.
Before every casting session, I give my line a good strech,I would like to ask you if doing this quite often will effect line, taper or weight of the line?
Im asking because I simply dont know?
cheers
mike
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Hi Mike,
I don't see why this would effect line weight or taper, but just reducing memory.
Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi Brend
Honestly this is the answer I wanted to hear.
cool.
cheers
mike
Will
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Will »

I have read that it is poss. to overstretch a line though. Something to do with pulling too hard and separating the core from the coating. :???:
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Hi Will,
of course it is possible for people like my casting buddy Andrej (125Kg muscles) to just stretch a fly line into pieces :D :p .
I think most fly lines can be streched quiet strong without anything bad happening.
Some years ago Airflow had a line on the market on which the coating easily was ripped of the core. But that was a serious production failure and they corrected it. Never happened again.
Two years ago a customer of mine bought a fly line from Guideline and there was a serious production failure and it did just break all the time we stretched it about a normal range.
So, I think it can happen there might be production failures from time to time available and those might result in even more trouble by stretching...
Monofilemant shooting lines as well as fly lines having mono cores shouldn't be stretched too strong.They have little less strength!
Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de