PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

New CCI Test - Candidate just asking for help

cinick
IB3 Member Level 1

New CCI Test - Candidate just asking for help

Post by cinick »

Hi guys,

I realise there was another thread started by Paul where he started to work through the test.

We have 9 guys who are going to be testing in a couple of months here in NZ and having a forum like this is invaluble.

The problem I have is that after trolling through a bunch of threads about the CI test, most, if not all of them end moving away from the initial intention and end up discussing why the test should be different, whats wrong with the test, how it should be examined or whether it should be on or off water.

To be honest, for those of us trying to get our heads around completing the test in a few months none of the above really matters.

So, is it possible to have someone (Paul you do a great job of this) run through the full test and for candidates to then ask questions without this thread turning into a political thread that really dosent help us guys at the bottom????

Look, I realise I'm new here, but I just want to give this test the effort it deserves, I'm not really interested in the politics of the exam or examiners.

Sorry if I have stepped on toes, but time is ticking......

Thanks
Rick

PS. One specific question I have was asked, but not answered in another thread: That being......

From question 13 (Accuracy casts).
“Beginning with the fly in hand, present the fly to targets at 20, 30 and 45 feet (6.1, 9.1, 13.7 meters). The candidate shall begin this task with the line extended to 55 feet (16.7m) and then strip in the line until only 4 to 5 feet of fly line is beyond the tip.
The line shall be adjusted during false casting between the targets. Once the desired amount of line is established the line hand shall cease being used (rod hand only). If the candidate misses the first target (at 20’) the candidate will strip in the line until 4 to 5 feet (1.2-1.5m) of fly line is beyond the tip again and begin again with the fly in hand. If the candidate misses the second (30’ 9.1m) or third (45’ 13.7m) target the candidate will strip in the line to the previous target. A candidate is allowed three attempts per target. Allowances should be made for adverse conditions.

The portion I bolded and underlined seems to indicate that the amount of line CAN be adjusted between targets using your line hand BUT once you have the desired amount of line out of the rod tip you then have to put that hand aside and complete the cast with only the rod hand? Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks again....
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Rick

Welcome to the board :)

Yes you are permitted to have the help of your linehand during adjustments. When you have the length you want outside the tip, you should lock the line under a finger on your rodhand.

Good luck :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Rick, welcome to the Board!
So, is it possible to have someone (Paul you do a great job of this) run through the full test and for candidates to then ask questions without this thread turning into a political thread that really dosent help us guys at the bottom????

Absolutely - keep us in check! Post any questions you have and if there is a unhelpful diversion let us know and we can move it to a separate thread :cool:

If Lasse is keen we can quickly run through the test with you together. Are the other 8 candidates on the Board? We can keep it short and sharp. 24 questions, 6 questions/week. It should be fairly straight forward. Lasse is on the CCI committee and CBOG with huge examining experience.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
cinick
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by cinick »

Cheers Paul,

I'm meeting with the other guys this morning so we can go over the test together....blind leading the blind :). Thankfully we also have Chris Dore whose willing to share his time with us in a few weeks so we have a couple of weeks to try and not look tooooo bad when he gets up here!

I'll talk to the others today and try and get them onto the board, otherwise I'll bring any questions to the board on their behalf.

Thanks again,

Rick
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Chris is good.

I look for three things when examining CCI candidates. An ability to transmit information, the right information and a standard of casting appropriate for a Certified Casting Instructor. When one of the boxes is borderline then I look to see if one of the other boxes compensates, but better to tick all boxes, then everyone is happy.

Also, I know it's hard, but don't take it personally if you don't pass. You're only a failure if you stop trying. We're all continually learning and the standard has been set. You may not hit the standard first time. I know influential and progressive MCIs who failed CCI first time. Just take it as it comes and really take it to your examiners.

The CCI level for me allows you to charge money with the backing of an instructors' association. That puts your reputation on the line as an instructor, mine as an examiner and the association's as an instructor body. I think it's prudent to go into an exam with that thought in mind.

Chris is one of the best casters in NZ. Get him to teach you smooth, tight and consistent vertical loops would be my advice. Also have him look at your double haul and roll cast. Of course he probably has a cunning plan in addition to this :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
flylife
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by flylife »

Hi guys,

I am one of the 9 guys and I am new to this forum. Thank you very much for you help. I am having problems with my tracking on the distance casting test. Any idea how to improve this please?

Thanks

Stefan
Chris Dore
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris Dore »

I sent john an article I wrote on tracking recently, talk with him. Make sure you aren't swinging your hand around behind you or twisting the torso during the stroke. Practise by casting along a straight line with good form and a short line. When Perfect, extend a few feet and continue.

Casting towards a vid cam can also work.

If your hand ends up outside your ear on the back cast, it should travel straight to the front of your shoulder on the forward cast.
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
Sage
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Sage »

Hi Paul
Mac here.. As pointed out it is really hard work sorting out the wheat from the chaff,
Chris has tried to answer many of my Q,, along with Jo..
But I am one end of the South Island and they the other .
It does wonders for having a run through befoe the actual test!!!! with a MCI !!!! we only have 2 and they are not allowed to give us a run thru if they are testing
The posts I have trolled thru on SL..have been helpful
but they have wandered quite a lot

Accuracy Test was a worry with all the different view points..
I have settled for your description
Start with fly in hand.. 55' of line coiled at your feet
and off we go..
2 goes at each target. false casting as many times as you want between alignment and hover then deposit..
6 goes at the 3 targets...( if you get the first two targets
in two casts ,,,you have 4 left for the last one..

I have had 2 run throughs with one with Chris and one with Jo
That will be it till the Test......
Jim Bass a great help re the type of US question s but I had to query the way to strike at a Tarpon!!!!
Never seen one!!

Do your best Paul...

Mac NZ..
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Stefan, welcome! OK to fix tracking problems on distance you need to pick two targets, one behind and one in front. Look at the target before making the casting stroke. Don't focus on the rod tip, hand or loop, only the targets. Pick the targets before you make the Casting Stroke. If your targets are properly aligned then you will throw straight. You may have to alter your stance and alignment to make this happen.

The accuracy test has changed Mac. You now have three shots at each target, 20, 30 and 45. If you miss the target you strip back to the previous target before attempting again. This is not rocket science, and you can just strip measure the whole thing. From 20-30 is two strips for me. From 30 to 45 is three. The initial amount of line outside the rod tip goes exactly into the first ring. Personally I wouldn't set the test up this way, but that's the way it is!

Make sure that you alter trajectory and that your backcast is tight and correctly aligned. The backhand accuracy at 45 feet is possibly the hardest cast in the test. Spend ten-fifteen minutes throwing at targets/day and you'll nail this no problems.

I think Chris is MCI level. He just hasn't taken the test yet - I've been telling him to take it for years now; since before there were MCIs in NZ. Not only can he cast and teach, but he also knows how to apply it.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
flylife
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by flylife »

Thank you very much guys!
Sage
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Sage »

Paul, Thanks for that, It sounds as through I was on the right track that's good ,at least there is time to tidy up the task..
Thank heavens for S/Loops. also Chris & Jo !!!

Welcome also to Rick & Stefan, I thought all you keen Fly
fishers in Ch Ch would have belonged to SL..
I look forward to meeting you both.

Best Regards

Mac
cinick
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by cinick »

Hi guys, Mac I also look forward to meeting mate!

Chris is coming through mid August to give us a good shot in the arm.

6 of us met last Sunday to work through the test and I think the actual casting portion is pretty straight forward. Not saying that I can easily do each task but I think we have a good understanding of the requirements and what is being looked for and expected.

The area that we identified we really need alot of work on is the presentation and explanation section. It became very apparent on Sunday that we need to do alot of work on this area and really get to know the 5 essentials and how they apply to casting in general. We also need to practice our presentation and ensure we know our stuff so when we are asked a question we arent just parroting something we have red or watched on a DVD. That being said I will be watching Carls DVD and Mel Kreigers a billion times over until it starts to sink in and become second nature......

Mac, I have some info if you want it, just PM me your e-mail address.

Chris, I'll send out the casting stuff you sent through. I know a few guys have it but it might not have got to everyone....

Thanks again for everyones help,

Rick
Chris Dore
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris Dore »

No worries rick. And im there 4th august, not mid. Hope you guys are :)
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
cinick
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by cinick »

Chris Dore wrote:No worries rick. And im there 4th august, not mid. Hope you guys are :)
Dam, just lost a week of practice! :)
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Paul, I did not know you could strip cast to the targets for the CCI, is that the same for the MCI?

Thanks,

John