PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Hello - Introduction

Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Hello - Introduction

Post by Chris09 »

Hi all

Just registered and wanted to say hi.

I recently participated in some of the friendly casting comps at the BFCC and I think I have the distance casting bug.

I have been reading some of the threads on this forum with interest as I'm working to improve on my results for the next BFCC event in Glasgow.

I managed to cast over 80ft with my #7 rod and this has improved my loops and control at shorter 'fishing cast' distances.

I have set myself a goal to try and achieve a distance cast of over 100ft. I have been getting help and advice at the Manchester Casting Club and will hopefully get further inspiration from the threads on this forum.

Cheers

Chris
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Great stuff - welcome to the Board, Chris :cool:

You should find that jump to 100 quite quickly. Practise throwing the cast straight, with controlled loops both back and front, and then work on speeding up your haul.

The cast should "glide" to 100 feet without very much rod force at all.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Thanks for the advice Paul.

I will keep you posted on my progress and I'm sure I will have lots of questions along the way.

Cheers

Chris
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

Hi Chris, welcome to the board. I look forward to seeing your improvement in Glasgow.

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
Magnus
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Magnus »

Hi Chris

Welcome to the board.

I have set myself a goal to try and achieve a distance cast of over 100ft.

Good target! Got a long tape measure yet?
Casting Definitions

"X-rays will prove to be a hoax."
"Radio has no future."
"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible."
Lord Kelvin
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

I'm looking forward to Glasgow and hope I can demonstrate some improvement Mike.

Hi Magnus - I don't own a tape yet but one is regularly used at our Manchester Casting Club.

Recent practice / focus has been on:

- tracking
- hand path movement for longer distance casts.
- picking up a long line without hauling.
- hauling longer and faster
- trying to increase the overall amount I can aerialize
- increasing distance slowly and dropping back when necessary

Happy to take advice on any other relevant areas that I should be focusing on.

Cheers

Chris
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Chris,

a lot of my teaching is what you are attempting to accomplish. Don't worry about carry yet. You need tracking, loop control and a fast haul. That will take you past 100. Once you have that nailed then it's time to look at carry.

What you want to achieve first is good consistent loops both back and forward with rod hand only. Then apply a fast and relatively late haul.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Thanks Paul

I will adapt my practice this week to take onboard your advice.

An excellent site by the way - there a lots of great threads and articles for me to get stuck into.

Cheers

Chris
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Due to being busy at work, family holidays and seriously boggy fields my opportunities for casting practice have been limited over the last few weeks. However I had a very productive distance casting session today.

As advised I focused mainly on tracking, achieving controlled loops back and front and then adding a fast haul.

I couldn't resist a brief session against the tape at the end. The new GT125 line definitely gave me more distance or it may just have been the wind at my back.

The wind was hindering my back cast but helping on the forward cast. I was achieving much further than my previous best cast but this may just be down to the weather conditions.
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Still practicing regularly and make some progress but it's not coming easy.

I read the following comment on another forum:

'After four years of practicing and experimenting with long-distance fly casting techniques, I was able to cast over a hundred feet. (Even though I read everything I could about casting, in the end I had to find my own way.)'.

I have an advantage that in that I regularly attend a casting club so I'm not totally reliant on books etc. However I think that there is some truth in the comment about needing to find your own way.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

True, but it helps to discover other people's ways as well. When I started measuring my casts I was throwing 105ft. But I've taught many people to go from 75 to 100. This jump is about getting casting fundamentals right. Nice loop, respectable carry, straight tracking, fast haul and any style will go 100ft. Try compacting everything that you are doing with the rod arm, straighten up and emphasise the haul.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bill Gammel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bill Gammel »

Chris, I would spend some of my time practicing my distance casting into the wind. It will kill the distance at first, but it is a great way to highlight casting flaws that need to be corrected.
I would advise 50 percent of your time should be spent casting into the wind. Even a strong wind. There is much to be learned by casting 75 feet into a wind that would carry your cast past your ability if you were casting with it at your back.

Welcome to the board. Lots of good advice here.
Bill
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

That's fantastic advice. For once I agree with Bill.

Flycasting Definitions
Bill Gammel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bill Gammel »

Thanks Paul that is big of you.

Your advice on speed of the haul is something that I learned from you years ago.

This can be an exciting time for a caster, especially when he has several quality suggestion to work on. It can sure be bleak if you are working on it by yourself.

That is the wonder of sexyloops.
Chris09
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris09 »

Thanks Paul and Bill.

I am working hard on improving the fundementals and continue to self analyse each aspect and consider how I can improve further. In addition to practicing the fundementals I try to think up a small tweak or change that I can incorporate each time I practice. This means I continue to look forward to every practice opportunity.

Your advice and ideas are helping greatly with process and are much appreciated.