PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Hover - how's it done?

James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Hover - how's it done?

Post by James9118 »

I've seen the term 'hover' used in a number of threads regarding accuracy tasks - what's the technique used to achieve 'hover' and how much extra time does it buy you? Has anyone got any slo-mo video of a 'hovered' cast vs non-hovered?
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi James,

the easy way is to rotate through the Casting Stroke, with no Drag, and overpower slightly aiming above the target. Watch the bottom leg of the loop. A well tapered leader and a competition fly helps immensely. I don't know how much time it buys you, not a lot!

Another technique is to feed line with the haul. Haul from the rod to your hip on the backcast, feed the haul back to the rod as the loop turns over. This gains you more time. But takes practise to be consistent, and you have to make sure your hauls are of consistent length. Haysie is the best I've seen do this, but I know others do this too.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

Agree with Paul. Cast in the vertical plane, double haul and keep both hauls short, fast and late. if you use the CCI test distances, 20 feet has a double haul 6 to 12 inches in length, 30 feet has a double haul 12 to 18 inches in length and 40 to 50 feet down to your waist. Key is to ensure the haul is in the plane of the rod, not to either side. To maximise the hover, fly must hang in the air so you can judge position relative to the target. Even get it to bounce and flutter in the air. This is achieved by having the line and leader stretch. If you don't see the fly when looking directly at the target, tilt your head to either side to change the angle and possibly the amount of glare from the water. Experiment with fly colour to maximise visibility eg, black for on those days when there is no ripple and the water surface is like a mirror, flouro yellow or white for rippled surface and dull days. For bright days, experiment and see what suits you.
From technique view, false casts must straighten below the horizontal, at the target. Don't cast parallel to the water/ grass. Also, get the haul hand back to the rod hand BEFORE the loop straightens. Exaggerate the blocking the rod on the forward cast using the base or heel of the hand. Thumb on top or knuckle on top grip are most conducive to generating the loop speed and fly bounce required to hover. As Paul said and when light conditions are difficult, follow the rod leg with your eyes down to the fly. Finally, it is no good seeing the fly very well in the air if you are not aware of the relativity of that point with the target. Set a target at 20 feet, cast past it, strip the line back until the fly/fluff is in the middle of the target. hold the line securely in your haul hand right next to your rod hand and false cast that fixed length of line, noting where the fly becomes visible ie back edge of hoop, front edge of hoop, centre of hoop. That becomes your sighting reference for that distance. Repeat for 30 feet 40 feet, 50 feet etc. As the trajectory changes with increasing distance so will your individual reference point. Then practice, it is an activity worth experimenting with as it really expands your understanding of the impacts of loop shape, speed and trajectory at the extremes. The further the target the harder to judge so practice the technique on 30 to 40 foot lengths. For shorter lengths there is not enough line mass out of the rod tip so line required speed is not easily attained and for longer distances the line drops too quickly. A floating line works best due to its relative density.
Paul is right about leaders, 6.5 to 7.5 feet is best, and experiment with tippet length for the wind. More wind, longer tippet.
It SOMETIMES works for me,
Not only experiment with technique and leaders but practice with a line one or two sizes lighter than recommended on your rod. That really makes you work hard on your rod load, haul technique and line speed generation and as a consequence, put a few theories to the test :D
John
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Great post, John! :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
Big Eyebrow
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Big Eyebrow »

Yep, great post John,
Just a quick reminder re-CCI test, the leader stipulated for the test is 7 1/2 ft. min. try not to mention anything other than that.
regards and good luck
rjwybrow
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I think this is more about fly hover in competitions. Regards the CCI test I'd recommend using the maximum length leader ie 9ft since that makes all the rest of the tasks more comfortable. Also there is no hauling allowed on the CCI or in the current MCI test (it was permitted in the previous exam).

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Paul for the reminder about hauling and the CCI test. That is something I have to do a lot of work with because I double haul on all my fishing and casting casts.

Both Paul and Roy are correct, my reference to leaders was about competition casting. I am using a 9 foot leader whilst I train to get up to the standard of the CCI test. That in itself is an interesting challenge, trying and get a 9 foot leader to behave the same as a shorter leader.

John
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

Thanks guys - I'll give your suggestions a try this weekend.

Cheer, James.
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Anyone using hovering for fishing?
Grets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

When stream fishing with a single dry fly I usually hover my falsecast/s. It depends on shot timing. I rarely use it to directly or consciously gauge distance. I also use it to check the leader and sometimes when waiting for a fish to resurface.

I never made a conscious decision to include it, but I can see that I have and that when I do so it has benefits. I think it buys time.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

Hi Bernd,

I do with hopper patterns when I am casting across streams and try to get as close to the bank as possible, but as Paul has said relatively infrequent in fishing as a distance checking tool. However, I use it a lot for casting instruction, so that my students learn the associated techniques relevant to loop shape, speed and trajectory. It generates a finite focus for the student on loop outcome and creates an excellent teaching tool when worked backwards through technique segments.
It is amazing how that focus accelerates casting learning.

John
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Thanks guys. That makes sense to me. I was using it to check leader, too.
Greets
B
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de