PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Please help! Pulling and straight line path?

Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

How hard is it to cast all day long? I do this all year round... ;)
Seriously...
99% of (my) students choose the open stance if I don't say anything. I think that is for a very good reason.
Using the close stance and turning around causes a twist in the hips. This can be pretty tiring to a lot of students after short time.
Do you really turn around like that normally in your daily life? I don't at all.
Anyway all I was saying is that I don't find it to be energy SAVING ;). (nothing big, just a small mark)
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
easterncaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by easterncaster »

It's exhausting to watch a caster turning to watch their back cast when they are throwing a mid length of line -

back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth ...

Craig
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Bernd wrote:Do you really turn around like that normally in your daily life? I don't at all.

Anyway all I was saying is that I don't find it to be energy SAVING ;). (nothing big, just a small mark)

hi Bernd !

1- here's an example that's very common: driving
my hips and shoulders stay where they are. the only thing that turns is the neck. ok, i'm not seeing 180° behind my initial straight-on head position but it's more than enough for both driving and loop inspection :)
turning around during casting shouldn't be a mindless motion. just like all other aspects of the cast, it needs some re-thinking and learning/re-learning.

2- as far as energy saving goes, i'd rather work out how the student is moving their arms and go from there.
( i know you do the same so yes, we are on the same page :) )

cheers,
marc
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Agree on 2...

Let's have a closer look at 1:

In the car we kind of use the parallel stance/square stance.
If we want to look to one of the sides, we just turn the head. If instead we want to look backwards most would use the mirror or (I think) start turning their upper body and to some degree often the legs slightly as well.
So in order to look to the sides it seems energy saving to me to only rotate the head.
That's what we do with the open stance.

No doubt their are other pros and cons that we must take into account when comparing open or close stance...

Anyway back to the car I don't think anybody would turn in the hips left when watching back over the right side because of it feels unnatural and not ergonomic.
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

you forget the accelerator pedal. ... :p :D :laugh:

anyway, i never said anything about open, closed or anything stance. just head turning.
fwiw, i see as many people twisting shoulder and/or hips in either open or closed stance. the ones who use an open might twist their torso less but they twist it nevertheless.

back to teaching them how to turn the head only...

cheers,
marc
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

I agree Marc: Lots of casters do twist torso and so on. In a lesson I often stop them from doing that in order to have a basement technique without using much body movement.
Those who are able to relax the whole body and cast with less overall movement often show the smoothest loops. Once they have it, am fine with adding more movements on top. But I want it to be controlled...
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de