PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Some musings on flick casting and spey

Stu Jamieson
IB3 Member Level 1

Some musings on flick casting and spey

Post by Stu Jamieson »

Okay, so this is my first post and I'm an amateur caster so, y'know, please be gentle. ;)

So I've just been checking out the casting section on flickcasting which has given me a few thoughts (I know, dangerous, right?). Quoting from that article:

Up to now we have purely dealt with two types of cast: the overhead cast and the roll cast - every type of cast can be regarded as being one or the other, except the flickcast.

I reckon the flickcast is actually a roll cast albeit turned upside down. Where a roll cast pulls the line in from below, lifts up over the top and accelerates to a stop back in the direction of origin; the flickcast pulls the line over the top, drops down and accelerates to a stop below. The line ends up in the opposite direction to the roll cast because it has no anchor (the fly being airborne an' all). A bit like when you roll cast on grass with too much line in front of you - the fly just pulls through the D loop rather that the casting loop shooting forward.

So with this in mind, and having just started practising spey casting, I'm wondering perhaps if every spey cast could be seen merely as a series of roll casts performed in varying planes.

The C-spey or snap-T, for instance begins with a flick upstream (an upside down roll cast), followed by a rising sweep (a roll cast on a rising diagonal plane across the body) thus throwing a D loop behind in readiness for a standard forward roll cast.

Similarly, a snake roll begins with a transverse flick cast (i.e. an upside down roll cast) to re-align the line to the new direction of the target, followed by a standard forward roll cast.

Okay, so maybe I'm over thinking this (aided perhaps by a couple of glasses of red over dinner ;) ) or maybe I'm just plain wrong or maybe I'm stating the bleeding obvious but, I dunno, food for thought maybe? :)
Don't advertise!
ACW
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ACW »

Hugh Falkus ,who tried to teach this hamfisted guy spey casting told us all speycasting is redirected roll casts and then went on to teach or try in my case the roll cast .
A C W formerly Andy C Wren
Stu Jamieson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stu Jamieson »

So what's the general consensus on that idea then?
Don't advertise!
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Stu Jamieson wrote:Okay, so maybe I'm over thinking this
i couldn't agree more. :)

cheers,
marc
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

hopefully this will help Snapcast
be sure to watch the movie at the bottom of the page.

cheers,
marc
Stu Jamieson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stu Jamieson »

Marc LaMouche wrote:
Stu Jamieson wrote:Okay, so maybe I'm over thinking this
i couldn't agree more. :)

cheers,
marc
Haha, I guess it's just my nature to try and break things down into its simplest components to try and understand the mechanics of what's going on, y'know rather than just flinging the line around until you get it right. :)

Just checking out your link now. :)
Don't advertise!