PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Roll Cast - Static or Dynamic?

Djordje
IB3 Member Level 1

Roll Cast - Static or Dynamic?

Post by Djordje »

..few situation on the water

...will skip lake, sea, grass field ...where Static Roll is Static Roll, and nothing is moving around :) .

These days just thinking about situation on the moving, running water, where to put and give suffix (static or dynamic) to Roll Cast if we cast Up Stream and Down Stream.

- Is it all Up Stream Roll Cast - dynamic Roll Cast or could be both, static or dynamic?

- Is it all Down Stream Roll Cast - static Roll Cast or not, or could be both static or dynamic?

- Or just what you mean? :) (include fast or slow water, just for thinking)

Djordje
Barrio Pro-Team
FFF MCI, THCI
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

When I fish, upstream to upstream is generally static and downstream to downstream generally dynamic. But more often than not it depends on space. If there is room to make a dynamic roll then that's the one I'm most likely to use, in whatever form.

Why do you ask? :???:

See you soon BTW! I'm coming!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Djordje
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Djordje »

Will ask more when you come :)

Question is just about personal thinking.

Like... Can we do static roll cast casting upstream...
I heard two awswers Yes and Not from few my friend
Barrio Pro-Team
FFF MCI, THCI
blackwater
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by blackwater »

I would say that....

As long as the line laying upstream of you on the water is not travelling downstream faster than the water is moving when you begin your forward cast i would call it a static roll cast.
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

hi Djordje !

static has the possibility of a marked pause at D-Loop formation.
dynamic doesn't.
and to make it even simpler (to myself at least... :D )
a static is the 'basic' roll whereas a dynamic is where the line was clearly lifted from the water to set up the D-Loop. (switch or jump-roll)

these differentiate two versions of the cast, not the situation where they'll be used. to me there are way too many 'It depends' to say that a static or dynamic should be used in a particular situation.

cheers,
marc
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Michal Duzynski »

I did some casting just yesterday, those are the observations:
- static roll cast either upstream, down stream,side ways can not be done as the line is always on the move with the current, so we can not have static ancor. ( different on the calm lake)
- in the stream situation we should look at it as water born ancor roll cast, and air born ancor roll cast.
- when I perform static roll cast on the grass, I come to the key position, stop (being static),look at my ancor placement, D-loop, rod position, and then FC.
- Performing Water born ancor rollcast upstream seems easier, as we lift, and slide the line to the key position, with the help of current, we can very clearly observe tip of the line, and decide on the right ancor placement. Speed of the cast would deepend here on the speed of the current.
- Down stream Roll is different,as the current keeps a lot of tension on the line pulling it down stream.Trying to slide it gently to the key position, was achivable only with the short line, a bit more of line, and during the slide the line just jumped out of the water, making it automaticly a "jump oll", "switch cast", whatever.
- Side stream roll casting can be perform either way, the main thing was here, ancor placement, timing,and railway tracks.

Happy to share more observations with you.

Cheers
mike
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

I was writing mine, while Marc posted his.
"Static rol cast has the possibility of marked pause, at the D-loop formation"
I like this statment, and it changes a bit of what I wrote. Slightly thoug.
Cheers
mike
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Mike, a dynamic roll for me is one where where there is a bit of energy in the D-loop, and the line is not simply hanging from the tip. Usually the anchor is stationary in both, but not always in either!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Hi Paul
So if I perform quick roll cast,with line tip remaining on the water, and the D loop wont be sloppy hanging of the tip, that would be a dinamic roll cast right?
Ive noticed when you ask people around what dinamic roll cast is? First thing coming to their head is, jump, swithch, ....

Mike
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Paul Arden wrote:a dynamic roll for me is one where where there is a bit of energy in the D-loop, and the line is not simply hanging from the tip.
i like that Paul, thanks. it helps to explain the 'marked pause' bit :cool:
blackwater
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by blackwater »

Michal Duzynski wrote:I did some casting just yesterday, those are the observations:
- static roll cast either upstream, down stream,side ways can not be done as the line is always on the move with the current, so we can not have static ancor. ( different on the calm lake)

As long as the line is not being slid across the top of the water with an upstream rollcast i see that line as static .

On a slow moving pool the water and line are still moving.

On a lake the water and line are still moving

To me the only difference is that the line is moving more slowly on these other surfaces. The effect the water has on the line is still the same. It is gripping the line to create some tension.
Djordje
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Djordje »

blackwater wrote:I would say that....

As long as the line laying upstream of you on the water is not travelling downstream faster than the water is moving when you begin your forward cast i would call it a static roll cast.
Static or dynamic?

With pause or without pause?
Barrio Pro-Team
FFF MCI, THCI
Djordje
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Djordje »

Marc LaMouche wrote:hi Djordje !

static has the possibility of a marked pause at D-Loop formation.
dynamic doesn't.
and to make it even simpler (to myself at least... :D )
a static is the 'basic' roll whereas a dynamic is where the line was clearly lifted from the water to set up the D-Loop. (switch or jump-roll)

these differentiate two versions of the cast, not the situation where they'll be used. to me there are way too many 'It depends' to say that a static or dynamic should be used in a particular situation.

cheers,
marc
Hmmm I can not agree that Dynamic Roll Cast is the same cast like Jump Roll or Switch Cast

In both Static and Dynamic, line is on the water, differences is in PAUSE.... like if you want to pick up sink line you will do it with dynamic Roll Cast without PAUSE

Cheers Djordje
Barrio Pro-Team
FFF MCI, THCI
blackwater
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by blackwater »

Djordje wrote:
blackwater wrote:I would say that....

Static or dynamic?

With pause or without pause?

I am talking about a static roll cast with a pause. That pause will only just be long enough to allow a D-loop to form but it is a pause. I am talking about having a D-loop that is not dynamic or energised as Paul has talked about earlier.

In still or very slowly moving water I raise the rod to form my D-loop. I stop movement of the rod and the line on the water also stops moving because of anything i am doing. The line settles and is gripped but the surface tension or whatever you wish to call it. I then make my forward cast and the line rolls out in front of me.

In a river enviroment when you stop dragging the line by lifting the rod the very same things happen to the line. The line stops moving from any force i had on it. A D-loop forms below the rod and i make my forward cast. This all happens even when that line is moving along with the current.

To me i see very little difference between what happens in a fast flowing river, a very slow moving pool or what would happen in a lake where the wind is pushing the water towards me. Eventually the line is all going to end up behind me. It will just take much longer in a lake.