PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Tails on backcast of PUALD

easterncaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by easterncaster »

When does Sag become Slack ...

meaning how much inappropriate line drape is no longer considered sag and is now slack ?

Craig
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

On water I can quite easily create No 1, I think. I believe it comes because I am so used to using wrist snap into a hard stop. I was having a hard time at Caer Beris trying to stop doing it. I don't get it while fishing, only when trying to do it slow and smooth. I never get it on grass, nor No2.

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

They have different physical definitions, however I'm not concerned about that, the bit that matters I think is that the tails are a result of different mechanisms and therefore have different cures. Line configuration at the start of the casting stroke and breaking the 180 do not require a concave tip path. All the other causes including slack line do require this concavity.

I may be wrong but the only time I consider slack to be a cause of tails is when it's introduced with the haul. It's incredibly difficult to put it there while false casting. Slack line on the water at the beginning of the pickup doesn't directly cause tails, but it will force an ineffective lift, or potentially a low back cast if the lift is adjusted. I suppose it could cause an indirect tail if the result is too narrow a casting arc, but this is really hard to do without actually practising it!

I actually teach shocking the rod to throw a tighter backcast on a pickup. Try it! For me to force a tail I either have to introduce sag before the CS commences or else change my hand path during the CS to force tip path concavity.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
JonnyB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by JonnyB »

Paul Arden wrote:breaking the 180 do not require a concave tip path.

Paul (sorry to sidetrack) I thought the only way to physically break the 180 was by means of a concave path of the rod tip???
How do you project the straight line "down and then up again" (in simple terms) without a concave path? I understand this probably is from a different cause but surely it is still a concave path?
Jon
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Jon, no problems!

Throw the line high on a backcast, dome the tip path on the forward cast, but still sending forward cast high, and the loop will tail. The tailing wave is caused between the tip path at the beginning of the casting stroke and the line angle, not the tip path itself during the Casting Stoke.

Lasse and I made a video of this in Serbia this year.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
JonnyB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by JonnyB »

So simple - thank for the explanation. I will be on the vacant stand this evening - experimenting.
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Paul Arden wrote:Throw the line high on a backcast, dome the tip path on the forward cast, but still sending forward cast high, and the loop will tail. The tailing wave is caused between the tip path at the beginning of the casting stroke and the line angle, not the tip path itself during the Casting Stoke.

hi Jon,
with Paul's same scenario: high BC to high FC, you can on the contrary do a concave path of the rod tip, creating a crossed loop and not get a tail at all and get a very soft, parachute-like cast delivery :cool:
i use this for a 110° or so Steeple cast.

cheers,
marc
JonnyB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by JonnyB »

Thanks Marc - just been out experimenting (after reading your post) and found it (the crossed loop) almost happens more often and easier than the tail. A useful cast.
Jon
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

:cool:
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Hi everyone,
I like to point out a little different point of view on the same causes sometimes:

"Uneven (non smooth) increase in rod bend during acceleration"

is critical in regard of creating a wave/buckle in tip path during acceleration.

This will be achieved for example when:

a) A sudden burst of force application (too strong power snap for example) will be used.*

b) A sudden decrease in force application (for example finishing the haul too soon) will be used.

c) Slack line suddenly will be straightened out during acceleration (sudden increase in resistance).

about c):

1. Slack line can be done by starting the pick up with the rod tip too high already (slack right from the beginning).

2. Bad timing (not waiting for the line to unroll during false casts).

In 99% it's more than one cause resulting in a wave in the fly-leg.

*Creep often results in a sudden burst of force application because the available arc left for acceleration (after creeping) was too small to create the desired line speed while keeping the increase in rod bend during accel. smooth.

Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de