PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

single hand underhand/pendulum cast - produces a upside down tight loop

slack
IB3 Member Level 1

single hand underhand/pendulum cast - produces a upside down tight loop

Post by slack »

I discovered this cast accidentally I think, and looked it up on SL introductions.It describes the cast perfectly and its benefits for casting under very low obstacles but I would like to see a video of the cast. Anyone aware of this video cast or uses it. Thanks slack
Chris Dore
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris Dore »

I use this cast very occasionally when popping willow grubs in beneath the willows. Most of the time a low side cast will do the biz. The pendulum is only really for when the horizontal slots are too small. Its hit or miss.
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
Malcolm
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Malcolm »

It's a cast I use only occasionally mostly off a spey cast.

A much more useful cast is the low spey where the loop propogates right to left, (or vice versa) never getting above two feet and parallel to the water surface - a very simple cast and probably the most used cast by me on the overgrown river that I fish.
slack
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by slack »

Chris and Malcom thanks for the replay. I was hoping to see this cast on video. Would you say that the forward cast is somewhere between stabbing someone low in the stomach and shooting pool. The forward cast being an almost underhand jab with a haul . Again thanks for response. slack
Morsie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Morsie »

Also a wonderful cast for landing crab flies very delicately. Can also be adapted to throw a nice curve with a pile of slack in the bend. I don't know of a vid though.

Morsie
That was the river - this is the sea........
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

http://www.sexyloops.com/movies/usdloop.m4v

It was actually used to explain how to use it to avoid a collision with a roll cast. And I haven't watched it for a while but I think it explains the inverted loop fine. :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

The link doesn't appear to work Paul.

On the subject of videos, I've just been looking through the old SL collection. They're not the best, not the casting obviously, but the resolution of the films etc. I'm guessing that this is down to the technology available at the time. I think most of us these days have the facility to shoot in HD or slo-mo.

So, with the new board going live would it be a good idea to update the video database with high quality films? If contributions were sought from the various board members I think this could be achieved pretty quickly as most of the videos already exist (assuming people are happy to hand them over). Could the SL youtube channel be used as a host? (or Vimeo)?

Cheers, James
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

James,
for me, the video uploaded and played automatically on Quicktime Player 7
one of the better demos and explanations on creative casting there is :cool:

cheers,
marc
Morsie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Morsie »

Worked fine for me to. Yep, an excellent demonstration.

Morsie
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

bugger - it just goes to a blank page for me, maybe I've got a problem with Quicktime?
Snake Pliskin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Snake Pliskin »

Are you using a mac? If so download VLC because QuickTime won't play it. If you're on a PC, try summat else!
Morsie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Morsie »

Snakes, I'm using a mac and Quicktime played it...... its a new mac book pro so perhaps its got the necessary ingredients.

Morsie
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi James,

we have a three hour App coming out for smart phones soon, specifically shot for small screens. It will be downloadable complete or in lesson plans. This should be available within the month. I spent most of last summer with Akos filming the bloody thing :p

Everything is in there. Teaching the basics. Full range of Speys, 45 and 90, both shoulders. Every useful presentation cast imaginable (and some not so useful :cool:). Accuracy and distance, both competition and fishing. All the different ways of dealing with winds. Styles, grips, mechanics, practise drills. It's basically my one-day course, shot from all different angles, mostly on water and occasionally on the field when appropriate.

Two methods of forming the pendulum loop are in there! It has some funny moments too, and at times I think I am quite mad.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Morsie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Morsie »

:cool: How much is it Paul?

Morsie
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

Snake Pliskin wrote:Are you using a mac? If so download VLC because QuickTime won't play it. If you're on a PC, try summat else!
Hi Steve,

I've got a PC with VLC installed.

Trouble is the file doesn't even try to download for me. I've even tried down-loading it from the movies listings with no luck. As you can see, at the moment I'm desperate to see it, by tomorrow I'll start thinking up a conspiracy theory :D .