PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

WF or DT? - Which can you cast farther?

Silver Creek
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Silver Creek »

Thanks for the diagram Mark, I know the line profiles of a WF and DT line. I asked about long belly lines because I was wondering if there were DT lines that has a longer level section in the middle and if this was also called a "long belly".

So then we come to the money question. Are long belly WFs or DT lines more often used by competition casters?
Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Harps
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Harps »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:A long belly for a competition caster is usually something with a head length of 60+ feet and usually they have some funky tapers to them. They don't really need it, but it seems to be a market trend :D

Cheers
Lasse
Lasse,
Isn't the funky taper solely for fly delivery? (energy dissipation and turnover)
Might that help in competition by maximizing fly turnover?
"Hippies smell better Naked."
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Silver Creek wrote:So then we come to the money question. Are long belly WFs or DT lines more often used by competition casters?
Hi silver

The line is usually restricted in competitions, so the answer is the line in the competition is what the casters use :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Harps wrote:
Lasse Karlsson wrote:A long belly for a competition caster is usually something with a head length of 60+ feet and usually they have some funky tapers to them. They don't really need it, but it seems to be a market trend :D

Cheers
Lasse
Lasse,
Isn't the funky taper solely for fly delivery? (energy dissipation and turnover)
Might that help in competition by maximizing fly turnover?
Hi Paul

That's the theory :)

Sometimes theory just doesn't hold true....

Cheers
Lasse

Gone.....
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Ps. Vince, it goes for spey too :p
Lasse

Speys allow you tie bows in your leader, there's no other reason for doing them :cool:

regards

Vince
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Vince, that's easier done in an overhead cast :cool:

Cheers
Lasse
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Vince, that's easier done in an overhead cast :cool:

Cheers
Lasse
I must be really good then :p
randyflycaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by randyflycaster »

So, to keep things simple. If I were casting a standard WF or a shooting head, I would keep my overhang fairly short, and then shoot a lot of line - 40 to 50 feet - on my presentation cast.

If I were casting an XXD line I would carry more line with my false casts, but on my presentation cast I would shoot less line than I would with a standard WF.

Is this correct?

Randy
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Randy

Nope :) You would go for the right amount of overhang and try to shoot as much as possible.

What is short overhang for you?

Cheers
Lasse

Gone.....
randyflycaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by randyflycaster »

Lasse,

I would say a short amount of overhang on a standard - not a XXD-like line - would be up to 20 feet.

When I was practicing long-distance fly casting witht he old Rio Long Cast line - not a long belly - I'd carry about 55-58 feet on my last back cast then I'd shoot about 7 more feet, before beginning my presentation cast. On my presentation cast I'd shoot another 45 feet or so.

With a long belly line I'd be able to carry a lot more line in the air, but would I then be able to shoot 45 feet on my presentation cast?

If I remember correctly, I read of casters carrying up to 90 feet of long belly line, and then casting close to 120 feet - in high-altitude thin air - which means they shot only up to 30 feet of line.

Any thoughts?

Randy
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Randy

The better distance casters are around 130-135 feet on their good casts now adays at sealevel, this from a 85-90 foot carry. It's a bit hard to measure, since we tend to let go, but most have a max carry just above 90 feet, and the best casts almost always comes from a more controlled and shorter carry. And getting the fluff to 130 foot doesn't mean only 40 feet was shot, damn thing never lands that straight, and the longer the fluff gets out, the more line we need to have out in addition.

I'm impressed though by a "short" 20 foot overhang :oh: I'd call that a very long overhang. 20 feet of runningline from rodtip to start of back taper is not easy to control. Personally, I'm on the wrong side of a serious distance cast with that much out regardless of the line. :)

Cheers
Lasse

Gone.....
randyflycaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by randyflycaster »

20' max for an overhang is just a guess. I don't have the specifics of the old Rio Long Cast line. I liked the line. Because it felt light, I was able to carry a long overhang on my heavy Loomis Trilogy rod.

When I switched to the XXD line, the line felt heavy. Therefore, I incorrectly shortened my overhang - then I got some really nasty tailing loops. Now, many years later, I think I just learned why.

Thanks Lasse.

Randy
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Randy

Found the specs on the RIO, it has a 47 feet head :)

http://www.kennebecriveroutfitters.com/nwsj_404.htm

Cheers
Lasse

Gone.....
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Good article Lasse
randyflycaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by randyflycaster »

I thought the head was closer to 40'. So my overhang was much shorter, about 13'.

The XXD line, if I'm correct, has a head of 65.5 feet.

Randy