PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

1972 Ford Capri Fibreglass Ariel

Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

1972 Ford Capri Fibreglass Ariel

Post by Stoatstail50 »

If all we had to cast with was a 1972 Ford Capri 8' Fibreglass Aerial, how would we match the angle to the bend in the Aerial ?....

...(after you had taken the little pennant thing off the top first obviously.)
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Magnus
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Magnus »

Aerial?
Casting Definitions

"X-rays will prove to be a hoax."
"Radio has no future."
"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible."
Lord Kelvin
Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

Almost, but not quite Mark. If you try it, first make sure your wearing you seat belt, you've had a roll bar installed, and your wearing a crash helmet, because if you do not somehow figure out a way to rotate the base of the antenna, you'd be better off going fishing :D

Actually a safer way to test out your idea would be to extend a fly rod outside of the car with about 40 feet of line outside the rod tip then accelerate the car over whatever distance you'd like and then slam on the breaks and watch the loop form. :oh:

Although I think you'd be better off just going fishing. Apply a little angular acceleration to the rod butt and enjoy the ride :cool:
I would have a major effect on how I train instructors.
Paul Arden
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

so, this is some fancy collectors edition of the Frank-Machine ? :D
Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Yes...."aerial"...... :)
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

Marc,

Actually it's better :p because Paul had to use rotation to get that contraption up to speed. In this scenario the entire body of the car translates in the true sense of the word I would think. Your lucky if the rod really bends at all beyond a certain point and that and once you slam on the breaks I doubt with a high degree of probability that a loop would even form.

The problem with pure translation is that it barely bends the rod, thus the path of the rod tip is largely unaffected. Which is why translation has little if any bearing at all on the formation of the loop as to tip path. :cool:

Frank
Paul Arden
Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Frank LoPresti wrote:Almost, but not quite Mark.
Amost but not quite what ??

I was wondering how we would match the arc to the bend in a very very bendy aerial thing if we were casting with it, not whether it would bend if I stuck it out of a car window...which it would by the way, quite a lot actually.
Casting Definitions

Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

Mark

I think you might be a little surprised at how little the rod would actually bend. Even on a boat holding the rod out to the side or vertically, bends it very little, and I mean very little. Even on the flats, hold the rod up and see how much a strong wind bends the rod, very little Mark, and certainly not enough to effect the path of the rod tip as it went to loop formation. Not even close. The question you should be asking is how much line would you need to accommodate that bend and then how much arc you would need to maintain SLP. Very little of both, I suspect, would be the correct answer. :D

Frank
Paul Arden
Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Well maybe thats the case if you are in a boat with a fishing rod sticking out the side Frank, this has nothing to do with my question however...sticking a 1972 Ford Capri Fibreglass Ariel/aerial out of a car window doesn't really have anything to do with the question either.

The question is how do you match the arc to the bend of something that will bend right down to your hand if you are casting with it.

It is at the other extreme to the fence post question.
Casting Definitions

Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

I don't know how you cast Mark but when I cast I've got a pretty darn good idea before hand of the approximate size of the arc I'm going to be using given the length of line I'll be casting, given the distance I'll be casting that line, given the loop size I'd like, given the amount of force I'm going to be applying to the rod butt, and given the bend that will result given all those considerations. Having figured that out, when I do apply angular acceleration to the rod butt, I find that two things happen at the exact same time, the rod bends at the exact same time it is being rotated. Bend and arc are not mutually exclusive. When you apply angular acceleration to the rod butt, bend and arc are mutually inclusive of each other. In other words you can't have one without the other unless that is your simply translating the rod which goes to my slight digression in answering your question directly the way it was posed.

Frank
Paul Arden
Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

When you apply angular acceleration to the rod butt, bend and arc are mutually inclusive of each other.

Do you mean the bend is dependent on the angle that you accelerate the rod through ?
Casting Definitions

Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Let me put this a different way Frank...you are my instructor....

... I am standing there waving my 1972 Ford Capri Fibreglass Ariel/aerial and you have to teach me how to match the angle to the bend in the aerial when I accelerate it...what are you going to tell me to do...I assume its not a kinda feel the force sort of thing, no doubt you have done this thousands of times so you must have the technique off pat by now and, if you can do it with the aerial, is it the same technique for the fencepost ?.
Casting Definitions

Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

Mark,

Unfortunately being able to vary the casting arc for the amount of line you are casting and the size of the loop you'd like to throw comes with the added tax of having to spend many hours figuring out how to do just that. That's not something you can teach in a day or learn in a week. I think it's important to realize that. Then when you get your caster casting reasonably well, you get them to open up the arc and throw a wider loop and then back to the narrow arc to tighten it up, and so on and so forth.

Then you try and get them to understand that the rate that the hand accelerates the rod varies also or can vary. That's the hardest part because most if not all beginners to level one intermediates use the exact same rate of angular acceleration for each and every one of their casts. There's a lot more to it than saying you do this and you do that.
Paul Arden
Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

OK, so you don't teach arc/bend matching because...
That's not something you can teach in a day or learn in a week.

Interesting....thanks. :)
Casting Definitions

Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

Well certainly you can teach the basic aspect of changing the size of the arc to get different loop shapes Mark. You can do that in about a minute.
Paul Arden