PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Climbing Loop

Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

Frank LoPresti wrote:Lets take a look at two casters side by side using single handed rods and a 170 stroke for the sake of argument. Both launch a long cast, one cast lands 8 feet further than the other and the strokes are identical is all respects. What did the climbing loop do for the longer cast that it did not do for the cast that landed 8 feet behind it ? This is why I think that all this business leads to paralysis by analysis and in the end simple observation and good form and technique are the rule of order, not what the analysis would want you to tend to believe.

Maybe you tech guys know better, me I'm just out there slinging a line and enjoying myself.

Same set up as before only this time the pointed loop is the result of a casting arc of lets say around 85 degrees and a butt stop that yields a negative net lift pointed loop that goes 8 feet further then the climbing loop does. In this example the strokes are a bit different wiith the exception of the resulting loop shapes and the size of the casting arc yet in this instance the pointed loop goes farther this time, not the climbing loop.
I would have a major effect on how I train instructors.
Paul Arden
Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

Hal Jordan wrote:so every model has its limits and we end up using them for limited applications. So if we can determine the exact lift that an exact shape gives us under specific conditions who cares? We are unlikely to ever see those exact conditions in real life and if the exact loop shape and size ever did occur for a millisecond it will morph into something requiring a whole new analysis in the next millisecond.
Agreed !
Paul Arden
Frank LoPresti
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Frank LoPresti »

Hal Jordan wrote:You are stuck on your couch with your souped up laptop and a copy of Mathcad wishing you could be having fun but you can't because you are driven to do math problems instead. Do you think someone like that is capable of keeping it simple?

"The sense of paralysis proceeds not so much out of the mammoth size of the problem, but the puniness of the purpose."
Paul Arden