PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Could we use pole elastic - instead of traditional fly line backing?

keystone
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by keystone »

Hi,
Instead of adding a shock leader you could try dipping the leader in boiling water. This seems to add stretch to the leader.
Cracking carp by the way.
Dave.
alp
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by alp »

Hi Jeroen,

If we are using a pole elastic as a backing meterial, fly line weight and water resistance alone will break the superfine leader. Furthermore, direct connection ‘pole elastic - fly line’ is very unreliable. Pole anglers use special connectors for that. Without that piece of plastic you unnecessarily risking the loss of the entire fly line.

In some parts of the world carp is not very desirable sport fish. In Croatia, many anglers treat specimen carps almost as a home pets. Leaving one to swim around attached to a fly line will trigger similar reaction as tying tin cans to the tail of someone's dog.

However, pole elastic looks like a very intriguing material. It’s brightly colored and floats well. Some years ago I experimented a lot trying to incorporate it into a fly leader as a shock absorber and strike indicator at the same time. For trout fishing with a stronger rod, small hooks and superfine leader. After a while I gave up. Could’t find simple and reliable connection with monofil.

If someone manages to find one please let me know.

Greetings

Alexandar
alp
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by alp »

pyko
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by pyko »

Welcome Sasha, terrific carp!

Is what we're talking about, essentially Tenkara?

Fixed line onto a rod with no reel?
Al
You can observe a lot just by watching.
Yogi Berra
alp
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by alp »

Hi,

Guys thank you all for welcoming me.

No, pole fishing is nothing like tankara fishing. This technique is used by float anglers in some parts of Europe, especially on competitions. They have elastic shock apsorber inside the pole. It looks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AmRYU5tcTg

No fun for fly fisherman, believe me. However, the elastic they use could possibly be good for something in our sport. This is what we discussed about.

Greeting

Alexander
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Alp, I believe you are suggesting elastic (I mentioned shock gum, which is a stronger and shorter version of the pole material) between fly line and backing. But we are talking about a short piece of shock gum (which is available in different breaking strengths) built in the leader. The shock gum is only there for the initial shock of setting the hook. For that purpose I believe it would function well, especially when you are using low stretch tippet material and a fast rod.
Biology
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Biology »

Hey Dave - the pole elastic is super-stretchy, you'd have major problems retrieving line back on to the reel.....
"There are no passengers on spaceship Earth - We are all crew." - Marshall McLuhan

Small Fly Funk
alp
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by alp »

Hi,

Could we use pole elastic, instead of the traditional fly line backing? This question is the title of this topic. I think not.

Could we use pole elastic as a shock absorber incorporated in the fly leader? Perhaps we can. It certainly makes sense. I tried but had two problems.

First, I tried many knots but I could not make a simple and reliable connection between pole elastic and monofilament line. Secondly, this elastic spoils proper loop turnover. What may not be crucial for the fishing but it certainly does not look ‘sexy’.

However, I am always open to new ideas and good practical solutions.

Greeting

Alexander
Zoran
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Zoran »

Hi Alp ,
Welcome on the Board :D
I'm glad you finally get here .
Cheers,
Zoran
davestocker
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by davestocker »

So I chopped a DT fly line in half, added a yard of pole elastic and attached the set up to the backing on an old fly reel. Put the lot onto a Redington #7 CPS Only problem was that even with only 12m of flyline out, the two fish I manged wouldn't run, but rather decided to swim towards me. Serves me right, I suppose!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....mh_lolz
Dave Stocker

Check out our May 2011 'Festival of Fishing' at

www.cumbriafishingfestival.co.uk
alp
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by alp »

Nice, well done! Maybe I wasn't right after all. Still wonder what will happen when you hook up a real runner.

Luckily you have the other half of the line. :)