PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

East coast USA - Spot of fishing...

scotty9
IB3 Member Level 1

East coast USA - Spot of fishing...

Post by scotty9 »

I'm heading to the East coast on Sep 2 for three weeks, fly into DC then travel south for 2 weeks before spending my last week travelling up to Boston.

The focus of the trip isn't fishing (unfortunately) but I can't visit a country with loads of fishing and not get some in! As I have pretty much no money to spend on a guide sea fishing is probably ruled out but I'd love to catch some bass, brookies and some other trout are more than welcome. I'm mainly a trout fisher but have done a bit of pike and UK swff so bass are the really new one to me.

Could anyone offer advice on where I should be looking or a few general areas? Can I just get my license and start exploring? I've looked into the Great Smoky Mountains area and it looks lovely.

Last thing to ask would be whether anyone is interested in meeting up for a fish?

Any advice much appreciated as always, looking forward to the trip a lot :D
Haggisboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Haggisboy »

How far "south" you going Scott? If you need a banjo lesson give me a shout! :D

Sounds like a sweet trip.

If you do find some money for a charter Mickey from one of my favourite bands (Ween) is doing fishing charters out of New Hope, New Jersey.

http://www.mickeysfishing.com/
Eagle Crest
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eagle Crest »

Hi, I'm located out West where we have lots of public land and river/lake access, so I'm not sure how good my advice will be. Since I'm not from 'there', it makes feel somewhat like I'm pissing in someone else's pool to give out suggestions. I do travel quite a lot for business and I'm always searching and inquiring for places to fish and visiting fly shops. I have never actually fished in these places, so I don't know what the license requirements are, but usually there's a 1-day, 3-day 7-day type of licenses available almost everywhere.

A short distance north of Baltimore, is Gunpowder Park or canyon. I visited a fly shop on York Road and there was a nicely done book on flyfishing there. There's Loch Raven in the same area, and I believe that may have flyfishing opportunities.

About an hour’s drive north and west of Loch Raven, in Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, is the trout stream, Falling Spring Branch, that was featured in the EASTERN Fly Fishing magazine in 2010. The lower section of the Susquehanna River has bass accordig to another business colleague, but I don’t have any suggestions of where to go.

In Connecticut, I know of two rivers famous for trout; the Farmington near Winsted and the Housatonic near Cornwall Bridge. I stopped at the Housatonic Meadows Fly Shop and chatted. The shop guy said there are hundreds of various insects in the river and the hatches are different each week. The Farmington has quite few Parks and State Forests along that stretch of the river that ought to give you access to the water. I have company colleagues that fish the river and do well. Tiny #20-24 emergers, cripples and Tricos/BWO mayflies are one fellow’s go-to flies.

In Massachusetts I know there are areas on the Connecticut River and tributaries that have trout. The Deerfield River near Springfield would be one I could suggest. That’s a couple of hours west of Boston.

That ought to get you started. My best advice would be to do a Google search for fly shops in those areas and give them a call. There’s probably not much in the way of bank fishing, so waders and wading boots would be necessary.

Steve
Veni, Vidi, Pisci
scotty9
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by scotty9 »

Thanks for the advice and sorry for the delay in getting back. Had a pretty hectic time finishing things up before leaving.

I'm now in DC, planning to see the sights and bum around a while before heading southwards. Going to fish in the Shenandoah NP as a first stop on the way down, see if I can't catch a bass or two and maybe hunt down a little brookie. Will certainly get in touch with local fly shops and see what they offer in terms of advice and will be sure to check out some of your locations if I end up in those areas.

Campbell - I'll be down as far as Charlotte, perhaps down into South Carolina if I manage to make it down to visit a friend there, just depends on my timings.

Anyone around Virginia, NC, maybe even MA fancy meeting? Turning this into a fishing dating advert :D
Haggisboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Haggisboy »

Make sure you go to see Smallmouth Bass Ledgend Harry Murray

http://www.murraysflyshop.com/

Smallmouth bass on the fly are fun! Very powerful and very bonnie.