PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Find the Error ! - (what's up)

Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Find the Error ! - (what's up)

Post by Marc LaMouche »

i'm adding this here for Board member Charlie as he can't post at his workplace in deepest-darkest Africa... :D

just back from germany and enjoyed a day on the kyll at gerolstein
had great fun fishing a nymph under a dry all day. caught a lot of fish
inc these two browns

interesting thing being that these two browns were taken - to the same
nymph - less than 50 meters from one another in a slow flow section of
the river above a wier. same river, same habitat and assume same diet
and yet look at the different colourings!

has anyone looked at the whys and wheres of trout colour / markings?
is it an age thing or 'has it always been like that' ?

i'll play first :D
at first glance what comes to mind is they don't fit in camouflage-wise to the same type of water. the one with the red dots will more commonly found (from my experience in Europe) in clear waters where the other will have that darker overall tone when coming from tannin or whatever-stained waters.
second option is one of them is stocked but Charlie has told me "they say that this stream has not been stocked for a while but....... "

what do you all think ?

cheers,
marc
Viking Lars
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Viking Lars »

Without knowing for sure, my guess is one is wild and one is stocked!

Lars
Great flycasters don't think straight - they track straight.....

If it moves - and shouldn't, use duct tape...
If it's stuck - and should move, use WD40...
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

Our stocked rainbows also pale in comparison to the resident population. Might just also be a slightly different strain. Rainbows seem to come in all kinds of coloration. Light red shading, broad pink band, sharp brick red line. I also wrote it off to strains, figured browns would be the same.
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Trout markings are a strain-thing. Gacka native trout for example have very few spots and some red ones. Trout being dark vs light in colour has to do with the amount of light entering the eye. Which is why an old (blind) fish is dark, or a trout that cruises over sand is light. That's as I understand it anyway!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Riogrande King
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Riogrande King »

In Montana, where all our browns originated from Europe, the old timers differentiated between two strains of brown trout.
The "Loch Leven" strain was generally considered to have a more silver sheen and lack red spots.
"German browns" wear the yellowish brown color with distinctive ringed red spots.
Just reporting- our old timers were just as ignorant as yours.
blackwater
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by blackwater »

What Paul said. There was a photo somewhere of a trout that was blind in one eye. It had massive coloration difference from one side of it's body to the other.

There are lots of rivers i have fished over here especially in Tasmania where you will get two completely different coloured fish even from the same pool. I think it's just dependant on the area they live in and the light that gets to them.

The same goes for lakes where open water fish will be almost silver. Fish taken from around weed beds will be very dark.
TrevH
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by TrevH »

So, unlike a leopard, a trout can change its spots? Awesome! I wonder how quickly they can do that? :???:
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

I fished the Kyll at Gerolstein a Zillion times and I have caught trout there in different colour variations. As far as I am aware of, the local fishing club stopped stocking rainbows years ago, but do still stock browns. But I can be wrong about the very recent state of events.
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Not scientific but I've seen similar observations before

http://smallstreamreflections.blogspot.co.uk/2011....ns.html
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

not a brown trout but some fish can change colors quite quickly... Awesome & Trippy Cuttlefish Video
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

Trout can't change their spots. We have some strict C&R rapids here in Finland and same trout have been caught on different years. How do we know? From the spots. Everyone is different, but the spots stay. I guess they can be darker or lighter, but the spots stay where they are and the shape they are.

I guess the spot colors, amount etc depend on where the stock has evolved. We have different spotting in different places on natural stocks.
I'm here just for the chicks.

President of The Village Idiots of Vantaa Rapids
President of The Casting Federation of Finland

-Sakke
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

For example, this fish (very early spring 2007) with winter coloration:
pic 1

And the same fish 15 months later (midsummer), identified by the spots:
pic 2

It had grown only 6cm so it is a residential fish - if it would go to the lake to feed it would have grown a lot faster.
I'm here just for the chicks.

President of The Village Idiots of Vantaa Rapids
President of The Casting Federation of Finland

-Sakke
alex vulev
BBBB No2

Post by alex vulev »

both fish could be stocked fish who knows for sure, with so much human intervention elsewhere in the rivers of the world.
The ones with the red spots would be considered a native fish over here, the "imported" type is with all black spots, certain people call it German lake brown, but I hooked this type in our local rivers as well, so no idea why call it "lake"?
Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly
Al Greig
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Al Greig »

At a completely uninformed guess, I'd say the second fish was a stockie - the slightly bent pectoral might lead to that conclusion... maybe....

Otherwise, the amazing differences in colouration that brownies from the same river, never mind the same pool, never mind within a few feet of each other, often demonstrate, is just one of the things that make them such a wonderful quarry.
Fook, wot spawt!