PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Matching the hatch - From Bernd's FP

Viking Lars
IB3 Member Level 1

Matching the hatch - From Bernd's FP

Post by Viking Lars »

Are we really matching the hatch, or simply fooling the fish to check out what we're offering?

Thought....

On behalf of Bernd :)
Great flycasters don't think straight - they track straight.....

If it moves - and shouldn't, use duct tape...
If it's stuck - and should move, use WD40...
Crackaig
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Crackaig »

Bernd FP is somewhere close to my position. One thing I will do when a hatch is causing the fish to rise is look at the shape of the rise. My aim then is to present a fly in a way that the rise to my fly is the same as the rise to the natural. When I achieve this I feel like I have fooled the fish more than caught it by using its curiosity against it.

On many small mountain streams trout will grab anything that could be food. They can't afford to pass it up. I know several streams in which pattern selection is size 16 and black. Selection need not be any more complex than this in these streams. I would label these fish as aggressive opportunistic feeders.

On the other hand I've known fish hang below a fly, drifting with it, watching it only an inch away. In these situations every trick in the book is needed to maintain the drift as long as possible. Even then, if the fish takes, it is as likely to be curiosity, than conviction that the fly is food.

To think we really understand a trouts reasoning is presumption. I'll just remain thankful they do.

Cheers,
C.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"
Malcolm
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Malcolm »

Good and thought provoking post Bernd.

I think sometimes we can concern ourselves too much with exact imitation. Trout are particularly drawn to cripples and vulnerable insects and they can come in all shapes. For example here is a small collage of the same species: the march brown (Rhithrogena germanica). In the picture in the foam backwater (there were literally hundreds of MBs in an area of a few metres. Trout were simply hoovering up anything on the surface that was roughly the right size.

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I think we are presenting or matching triggers.
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
The 'GENT'
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by The 'GENT' »

On most streams I fish, you could use one nymph all season but in different sizes, and maybe just chance the colour?

Regarding dries/duns it's much the same, however I find the emerger stage by far the most difficult stage to fool trout. But in truth I don't know why?

I do think on many technical waters, (what ever that means) matching the hatch seems to be critical. Pauls right in his view, we do provide trout with triggers, features that look like food items.

But a good question.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

A splodge with a trigger or two is my tying philosophy.

Flycasting Definitions
The 'GENT'
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by The 'GENT' »

Yessss! We all remember the Royal Fuc--p, I'm still awaiting the pattern? Ha!!
alex vulev
BBBB No2

Post by alex vulev »

Paul Arden wrote:A splodge with a trigger or two is my tying philosophy.

any decent fly fisher should follow this path.

Sometimes i even dont know if my fly has even a single trigger at all.

No hatch to match most of the time in my fishing.
Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I have a bit of a theory going that when the fish are opportunist then you're better to present a fly with multiple triggers, and when they are locked on you only need present the right one. It may be bollocks but it sounds good.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Paul Arden wrote:A splodge with a trigger or two is my tying philosophy.
One of my main focuses is:

Less is more!

The better the fish can see the exact fly the worse it is in my experince. Well, if you want to catch it, that is.

I have often realized that especially in deep water when fish are deep down and I fish the surface area, there is to much time for the fish to see the fly passing by even without changing it's (the fish's) own position. That is when I strike for the fastest retrieve OR the tiniest flies in order to make it harder for the fish to see what exactly is passing by. That's when usually I get it to strike.

As soon as the water is pretty shallow a slower retrieve and also a bigger fly can do the job, too. (remember the (tri)angle that fish can see in)

In summary I like to say: Make it hard for the fish to see what it is and you get it to strike like hell!

Thanks for feedback,
B
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de