PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Barbless hooks - Inflict more damage!?!

Biology
IB3 Member Level 1

Barbless hooks - Inflict more damage!?!

Post by Biology »

Ever since "Catch-and-Release" became the popular trend of fly fishers, some individuals have touted the idea of a barbless hook. The advantage being that the fisher need not pinch down the barb. Contrary however to common logic, studies of hooked fish in Idaho and Oregon have confirmed that barbless hooks can actually inflict more damage to a fish than barbed hooks. Therefore, barbless dry fly hooks are less popular (or practical) than dry fly hooks with mini-barbs.

This is blurb for a barbless hook pattern... anyone know the logic? Doesn't look right to my eyes....

Cheers,
Andy
"There are no passengers on spaceship Earth - We are all crew." - Marshall McLuhan

Small Fly Funk
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

Never bothered de barbing my hooks.

Dont have a problem releasing fish at all.
Biology
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Biology »

rrw35 wrote:Never bothered de barbing my hooks.

Dont have a problem releasing fish at all.
but how do barbless hooks inflict more damage?

How you doing Ryan - two weeks today and it's all over for another season.... Andy
"There are no passengers on spaceship Earth - We are all crew." - Marshall McLuhan

Small Fly Funk
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

I would say they do less damage as there should be no resistance when pulling the hook to release a fish.

I know mate. A few weeks left.........

We're going to have to start talking to the wife and kids again. :laugh: :laugh:

What's with the flat cap and cane rod in the blog.... :glare: :glare: :D :D

Creel, pipe and slippers next.. :laugh:
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Phew. I'm extremely anti-barbed. Simply hook yourself with both and see the results if removal. Sorry Ryan, but I have a real problem with what you've just said. Barbless hooks should be mandatory, barbs are there to hold bait and for those who can't play fish. Barbs cause immense damage to fish, I can see this, everyone can see this, if studies show otherwise then they must be out of their heads. Barbless hooks are mandatory on many rivers I fish. I've seen fish killed (and released) because the angler fishes barbed. How on Earth can barbed releases be good for the fish? Can you link to the survey please? These guys need questioning.

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Eagle Crest
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eagle Crest »

I ran the topic of barbless hooks causing more damage than barbed hooks through my bullshit meter, and it ends up somewhere around Monty Python.
I pinch the barbs on my hooks for the following reasons:

1) they come out of the net way easier
2) they come out of my clothes/gear way easier
3) they come out of my skin way easier
4) they come out of fish way easier

Which leads me to conclude that; my fish spend less time or no time out of the water (time spent out of the water is where I think the serious damage to fish occurs) and, if I hook a fish deep and it is difficult to remove, I cut my tippet and leave the fly. I feel that a barbless hook will extract itself much faster and the fish suffers less trauma and can heal faster. The same for fish that break me off.

Two weeks and season over! That sucks. My condolences. I catch the majority of my big fish in Nov/Dec and March/April.
Veni, Vidi, Pisci
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

With single barbed hooks, I tend to net a fish, use a pair of William Joseph Hemostats to grab the hook and extract it. Never seems to be a problem.

I'll concede that a barbless hook will extract with less effort, but i've never had a problem removing a barbed single quickly.

Only killed one fish this year, a salmon that had the fly right in the gill rakers and was pumping blood in the net and it didnt revive.

Didn't go to waste though, oven baked with a side salad and glass of wine. :cool:
JonnyB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by JonnyB »

I have been given the theory that barbless hooks can come loose in the fishes mouth and as a result cause cuts and slices - hence more damage than the single hole from the barbed hook.
I have never really accepted the argument and prefer using barbless (they are not always too easy to find except on the net) or squeeze down the barbs.
Jon
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

If they come out easier, which they do, then why fish them in the first place? Have you not learned to play fish yet? Are you worried that you may lose the "big one"? I mean Jesus Christ, Ryan, WTF are to saying? If I have to remove a barbed hook for a mate I let him know exactly what I think. Cunt will be one of the words I use. Maybe I don't know you that well but I think so.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

In other words I'm releasing a fish the hard way and damaging him in the process, because my mate forgot or apparently doesn't debarb. I speak my mind in that situation. It may be the only time I do :p and yes he's a cunt for putting me in that situation. And not a good one.

Flycasting Definitions
Biology
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Biology »

Sorry Paul, don't have a link. The text came from the following link, it struck me as weird that the blurb for a barbless pattern was saying BUY BARBED...

http://www.anglersportgroup.com/product....2ID=143

I foul hooked three trout this season. Dealing with that using barbless hooks was uncomfortable enough.

Cheers,
Andy

Small Fly Funk
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

It's not just common logic but experience. I'll write to them in the morning.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Rich Knoles
flybitch 2008

Post by Rich Knoles »

Oregon requires barbless hooks on some of their rivers. The text in the ad is incorrect.
This study seems to be of interest.
Link
Will
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Will »

I have read something to the effect that people think barbless hooks penetrate more deeply and (for some unknown reason) move around more in the fishes mouth. I've heard carp anglers complain about the same thing.

It'd be good to see the study and understand what fish and what hooks were used.

I always debarb.

W.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
ennio
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ennio »

The link posted doesn't work for me Rich. It is to a secure website, and my browser displays '404 not found'

Andrew