PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Malaysian Snakehead - it's official!

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Malaysian Snakehead - it's official!

Post by Paul Arden »

I'm booked back to Malaysia on Jan 5th. Looking forward to catching up with friends there and absolutely slaying massive and angry Snakehead. I may or may not be able to afford a car, which judging by the state of the driving there may be a good thing! I might fish Thailand as well.

A couple of questions? Do you guys ever wear waders against leeches? Will a six and ten weight be enough, or should I bring an eight too? Is it difficult to cross by car from Malaysia to Thailand and back again on a foreign license?

Thanks guys,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
morten61
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by morten61 »

Hi Paul
I have quite a few friends living in (on ?) Phuket Island and earlier the favourite visa-run was to Malaysia (because they could go there by plane, saving time).
In recent years there have been some religious unrest in the southernmost regions of Thailand and northernmost regions of Malaysia and most have changed their visa-runs to go by bus to Myanmar (from Phuket).
I have done it once last year and it's a pain in the arse, but apparently safer.
If you are in contact with local people, they will know the status quo much better than I.

Morten
morten61
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by morten61 »

PS.
I can contact my friends and get an update, if you want.

Morten
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

OK thanks Morten - sorry missed your reply! - I didn't know this and will ask about it. I have fished the Malaysian/Thai border.

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
morten61
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by morten61 »

Paul
Please get me right, I have no intentions of putting you of your adventures (not that I think I could), but what one does should be based on relevant information.
FFS I have lived in Saudi Arabia during 2 Gulf wars, 9/11, invasion of Afghanistan and for people looking from the outside it might not have been very wise, but I've never had any problems.
Best of luck with your journey.

Morten