PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Help with quote - it was a British author

Riogrande King
IB3 Member Level 1

Help with quote - it was a British author

Post by Riogrande King »

I remember coming across a quote to the effect that you shouldn't publicize a fly pattern until you had caught a certain number (20?, 50?) of fish on that pattern.
Can anyone direct me to the source of this sensible advice?
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I can't remember who it was but I remember a run of articles around that time publicising new flies that had caught less than a dozen fish! I think the number was fifty, but unless it's a very specific feeding behaviour I think that number is far too low. 1000 would be more appropriate.

Being a man, I can't even remember is the quote was of an earlier quote or an original quote. It was either T&S, TF or FFFT magazine (probably) :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Malcolm
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Malcolm »

Are you sure it was about about flies? Arthur Oglesby quite famously wrote that no one should write about (Atlantic) salmon fishing until they had caught 1000 salmon.
keystone
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by keystone »

Hi,
It was Richard Walker writing in Trout And Salmon.
All the flies had to have caught at least 50 trout.
Dave
Riogrande King
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Riogrande King »

Keystone, Thanks. Had to be Richard Walker in Trout and Salmon! Do you remember the exact quote or year?
Nice to know that I'm only 1,000 Atlantic salmon away from beginning to write about them. Sigh.
keystone
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by keystone »

Riogrande King wrote:Keystone, Thanks. Had to be Richard Walker in Trout and Salmon! Do you remember the exact quote or year?
Nice to know that I'm only 1,000 Atlantic salmon away from beginning to write about them. Sigh.
Hi Sigh,
It would be early seventies.
In the Preface of his book 'Fly Dressing Innovations' which came out of the articles in Trout and Salmon, he discusses the flies.
I quote, "The flies described in this book are all of comparitively recent invention and my general rule for inclusion, has been that they should have accounted for at least fifty trout, preferably caught by more than one angler and on more than one water. Only occasionally have I deviated from this rule, when a pattern showed such obvious promise that I felt readers of Trout and Salmon in which these dressings first appeared, would prefer to know about it soon and discover its qualities for themselves."
Although, not mentioned in the book, I remember he also had another rule and that was that all flies should include some fur or feather. Perhaps another topic for discussion.
Dave.
keystone
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by keystone »

Hi,
Fly Dressing Innovations was published in 1974.
Dave.
Riogrande King
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Riogrande King »

Many thanks, Dave.