PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Wading boots

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I'm really unsure about the Korkers too. I've fished a day with Deano who had a pair. The soles popped out three or four times that day, twice while crossing the river, which was bloody dangerous and if he wasn't build like an elephant could have seen him miss the crossing :p

But if they work for you then I reckon it's a bloody excellent idea.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Peddler
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Peddler »

Paul Arden wrote:I'm really unsure about the Korkers too. I've fished a day with Deano who had a pair. The soles popped out three or four times that day, twice while crossing the river
Paul, did you notice the parts in my post where I mentioned that Korkers revamped the sole replacement system and addressed the problems they've learned about over time? By all indications it appears that Korkers has addressed all sorts of issues when designing the Chrome series. Did Deano have the the new OmniTrax 3.0 system on those Korkers when he had those problems?
I would be shocked if he did really.

Just saying, I'm the first to whine about a bad product and am not afraid to praise things done right and I think Korkers has rewritten the book on how wading boots should be made. If only they had the name recognition.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

That's good to know, thanks Jackster.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
_Ré
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by _Ré »

I use Korkers for a couple of years now, never had a problem.
"who knows absolutely everything about everything"
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

I've got Korkers shoes with omnitrax v2 (2nd generation). They don't hold well - they don't stay under the sides. The new ones' system seems a lot better.

But what I hate about Korkers is that the tip of the sole is always slippery stuff. I will not get ones before one can have the whole sole of the changeable sole material. Try climbing a stone when there is basically no traction under your toes.

Regarding traction the best rubber has been Amphibia (Stealth rubber) used by Vision - they had a lot of problems with the soles coming off thou. The next best Aquastealth (also Stealth rubber). All Vibram compounds have been a lot worse. Vision are coming out with new Gummi rubber of their own on Loikka boots and I have high hopes for that as Amphibia soles were discontinued. The boots also look they could be durable, but you never know beforehand.

The old Simms Freestones were really durable.

If I could choose I'd take Freestones with sole mostly of Amphibia (but with coarser pattern). There would be also soft aluminium inserts and areas of crushed hardmetal (WC-Co, this is what the Simms' hardbite star cleats have).
I'm here just for the chicks.

President of The Village Idiots of Vantaa Rapids
President of The Casting Federation of Finland

-Sakke
Daniel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Daniel »

Strongly considering the Korkers myself. Would love to switch to Riversheds or the Patagonia sticky soles but some of the wading on the Wye bedrock is deadly and i'm not sure how they'd cope. Think maybe the Korkers with Sticky rubber for general use and switching in the studded felt sole for the Wye grayling sessions.

Anybody tried the soles with the aluminium bars?
easterncaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by easterncaster »

... Riversheds (con studs) !
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

I have simms rivertek Boa, with the dial lacing system.

The dial system that they and korkers have is fantastic, far better than laces that seem to always come loose.

The rubber/studs sole is crap on riverbeds, I need felt and studs for my wading.

Not used anything as good as felt/studs for rocky bottoms.
Shane
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Shane »

I hope they have fixed the Korkers problems, because quite frankly they were a pain in the arse and dangerous. I've been bitten twice by them and really it's hard to get confident in them again. I know they got a heap of bad feed back , by the sounds of it they have taken notice and fixed the problem. as they say though"once bitten(or twice), twice shy) :)
Haggisboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Haggisboy »

I have simms riversheds with vibram and studs. Work great for me. Super comfy and lots of room for the toes to ensure good circulation. I would not use them without studs, OK on gravel and vegetation but shite on boulders/bedrock.
ennio
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ennio »

rrw35 wrote:far better than laces that seem to always come loose.

I feel a thread on "how do you lace and knot your boots" is needed. Manshit maybe? :p
Dave Alexander
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Dave Alexander »

Just bring some duck tape with you!

http://www.sexyloops.com/picofday/west/west62.shtmlnull

The absoulte best wading boots I have had were a pair of work boots that had some kind of carbon toe. The the tread on them rapidly wore off due to my work environment, but the uppers were very tough. So I just ground off all of the tread and glued on some felt along with srcews and they are still going, almost dead though. I may get another season out of them. They were the pair after the POD above. :p

Cheers,

Dave
just one giant cornucopia of awesomeness
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

Shane wrote:I hope they have fixed the Korkers problems, because quite frankly they were a pain in the arse and dangerous. I've been bitten twice by them and really it's hard to get confident in them again. I know they got a heap of bad feed back , by the sounds of it they have taken notice and fixed the problem. as they say though"once bitten(or twice), twice shy) :)
What were the problems with Korkers Shane?
greville
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by greville »

Another vote from me for Riversheds. Nothing beats felt but I have found 'sheds to be the best out there right now. I like others would not consider using them without studs. Mine start to go bald on the sole after 3 months daily fishing in NZ. They then get relegated to the gentle UK conditions !

A mate took Korkers on our last trip. Absolute crap. Soles fell off as described by other. Also at dangerous times.

Cheers

Greville
Djordje
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Djordje »

My vote is the same - Riversheds. I use also Hardbite Boot Star Cleat, studs. From next year will be my 4th season in the same boots and look like the new one. Sometimes with small problem but solved with super glue at the moment.

Djordje
Barrio Pro-Team
FFF MCI, THCI