PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Outbound RIO

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Outbound RIO

Post by Paul Arden »

I've thrown a lot of heavy (9 and 10) RIO Outbound lines here and there in the last few years, and thought they were extremely clumsy. I did get on well with one Snakehead fishing last September, being good for close quick shots but not for distance... and then I tried Aitor's seven, coupled on an 8-weight rod...

Bloody hell, what a difference. It certainly flies, it's stable, has no hinging problems. A very nice line indeed. Which makes me think that there is a very important relationship between head weight/diameter and shooting line diameter.

It's definitely up there in line weights. I also threw the Outbound eight (sorry I don't know the grains, Bernd and Aitor know this stuff) and found the eight too heavy for the rod. It still cast well of course.

Bernd's SA streamer express was a nice line too. The problem is you need a bucket to cast these things. :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Outbound short intermedium,sink rate 1 (the only one I have) is 330 grains(21g),
I was casting it on Echo S3 #8, wasnt happy with my loops at all,a lot of hinging, i slow down my casting a lot and opened my loops, with 2 fals cast I reached nice distance with satisfing loops.
Today I started my 27g shooting head-seatrout distance exercise. That is wirdo (first time). I will start new thread on this.
Cheers
mike
Torsten
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Torsten »

Hi Paul,

the Outbound is like a shooting head, right?
At least the specs indicate that.

For shooting heads I'm using the rule of thumb 1 - 2 classes above the recommened line for the rod equals the shooting head weight. You can find this simple recipe also often in the literature. This works at least well for my casting style and heads in the 9 - 11 m range (or 30-35ft.)

A short look in the AFTMA table:
http://www.sexyloops.com/glossary/aftm.shtml

The weight of 330 grains for an Outbound 8 equals #11, or 3 classes above an #8. That would be too heavy for me, but I know there are some guys who like such a combination.

I don't like the taper that much. I've build heads with a similar taper and they're much easier to cast reversed :) They're good for really big flies - but IMHO a symmetrical taper works just as well and has a nicer presentation.

Bye,
Torsten
^^ Warning: The above text contains misspellings, grammatical errors and of course nonsense.
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

Use the outbound short for a lot of my single handed salmon fishing. Great for polytips/big flies and with limited backcast space. :cool:
crunch
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by crunch »

I have not seen OutBound or OB Short which has the profile it has in the picture. I have four and three of them have slightly more weight in the rear half of the head than the front half. My OB heads are level with short front and rear tapers.

I do simple weighing for the lines I buy. I find where the rear taper becomes as thin as the tip of line. Then fold the head in two to find a middle point and mark it with permanent marker. Then coil both halves and weight them in a cup. It is easy to learn to keep "the other coiled half" in hand so that there is about 10cm of line parallel between cup and hand and the heads middle point in the middle so that line stiffness does not affect scale reading. When 1/2+1/2=total head weight it is done right. Of course when weighting the rear half there is also coiled running line in the other hand.

Experienced caster can feel the line behavior what can be weighted as well. There is big difference between over head lines and Scandi Spey shooting heads which can have almost 2/3 of their weight in the rear half.

Esa
Ben_D
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ben_D »

My Outbounds are all quite old now, the floaters and intermediates definitely have a similar profile to what is shown by Rio on their site.
I have them in #6, #7 & #9. The lighter ones are nicer to use.
Put the #9 through a new rod a few days ago after not having used it for a while and it did feel too heavy. Don't think these things are designed for distance really bu the #9 will happily present reasonable files at over 100' with little effort all day.
Don't like the shorts at all, I would certainly go down a size with these, they feel far too heavy for me.

Cheers

Ben
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote:Which makes me think that there is a very important relationship between head weight/diameter and shooting line diameter.
Paul

I think this is the relationship you are looking for:

http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/jw....nsities

regards

Vince