PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Recoils or not Recoils?

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Recoils or not Recoils?

Post by Paul Arden »

This is the question...

(From Akos' FP that I'm uploading :p )
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
thefly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by thefly »

I love them, light weight and tuff.
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

I choosed the H&H. So let's see how long they will stay before I have to replace them with titanium sic :cool: :).
So far everything else did not stay much longer than half a year if it came to the rod I mostly use on grass.
Some rings were gone after two to three month.
Never seriously tried recoils yet. But having a sound like with the sharksking line is not what I want. Not at all.
Greets
B
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Ben_D
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ben_D »

NOT RECOILS!!

They wear out far too quickly, noise doesn't bother me but having rods re-ringed on a regular basis is quite annoying.

Will be having a rod built up soon, think I will go for either minima or Fuji Ti lined guides.

Cheers

Ben
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

they're very nice if you don't intend to ever use the rod...
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

Do they still give that violin screetch when hauling hard? :???:
_Ré
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by _Ré »

Ben_D wrote:NOT RECOILS!!

They wear out far too quickly, noise doesn't bother me but having rods re-ringed on a regular basis is quite annoying.

Will be having a rod built up soon, think I will go for either minima or Fuji Ti lined guides.

Cheers

Ben
Did this happen to you? I fish in waters very dirty waters compared to trout rivers and I have never experienced such a thing. Maybe it has something to do with line cleaning.
What really annoys me is what lined guides do to a rod action. I have built a 9wt with Fuji Titanium guides and rewrapped them with H&Hs after a year or so. Even with the oversized and quite heavy snakes I had a rod that was a million times better than before. If those guides can kill the action of a 9wt, what would they do with a 6?
Even heavy snakes make a huge difference compared to lighter ones. If you want maximum performance, go with the Recoils (and clean your lines sometimes... :p ).
"who knows absolutely everything about everything"
_Ré
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by _Ré »

rrw35 wrote:Do they still give that violin screetch when hauling hard? :???:
Not for everyone. :???:
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I think most of the Screech comes from the double circular stripping guide sometimes fitted. I had a max line speed for about 12 months and I didn't have any problems with ring wear. I also used that rod for distance work, probably about two months worth.

Flycasting Definitions
_Ré
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by _Ré »

That noise thing is very interesting, I had to fish my Streamdance GLX for a year to hear that sound for the first time (it was on the Gacka at the ruins of the Hotel, I think I remember that better than my wedding for example... :D).
I wonder where they come from. Resonance of the guides or friction?
Maybe it works like this. If yes, it may have something to do with the speed of the line moving on the guides.
Torsten
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Torsten »

Hi Akos,
I have built a 9wt with Fuji Titanium guides and rewrapped them with H&Hs after a year or so. Even with the oversized and quite heavy snakes I had a rod that was a million times better than before. If those guides can kill the action of a 9wt, what would they do with a 6?

Do you know the size of the Fuji guides ?
For trout rods I believe some guys use TLSG-5.5 or TLSG-6 for the whole upper section - the mass for one is ~0.12g and this is with only one wrapping less than a standard snake. Unlikely that it would decrease the natural frequency.

--

I've stayed so far away from the Recoils because I've read negative reports and I know that NiTi is a relative soft alloy so I doubt it has a high abrasion resistance. (I'm one of these guys who wear out them quickly, I've a funny picture somewhere)

Bye,
Torsten
^^ Warning: The above text contains misspellings, grammatical errors and of course nonsense.
_Ré
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by _Ré »

I don't remember the size but there were probably 1-2 mm free space around the head of a 9 wt floating line.
I really would like to see a chart with the weight of recoils, HHs and Fuji TLNGs.
_Ré
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by _Ré »

I don't know what painting weighs but it changes the behavior significantly. Weight means more than anything for me especially on the upper half of the rod. I even use those ugly Recoils tiptops. Call me a fanboy if you want...
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

with such negative feedback from Recoils it would be a dumb marketing mistake to use them.
i wouldn't buy a rod with them on.

cheers,
marc
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

We offer both. There is a small difference in feel. Ti has had his G Loomis for 8 years no problems. I think for fishing with clean lines they are better. No question for dirty lines and competition casting over grass H&H are better.

Flycasting Definitions