PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Recoils or not Recoils?

Tom
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Tom »

Paul Arden wrote:Of course you can compare damping in a casting situation. After all that's the purpose of good damping!
Good damping is sticking or loosing the grip when stopping.
No Paul.
In my opinion you can not do that.
As Merlin says,the speed of recovery,or the frequency will
change by the set up.
Good damping is sticking,or loosening the grip when stopping.
The best way in my opinion is to say,follow the rod,and move
your castinghand with the recovery of the rod.
Sorry for the no good Tarzan english here Paul....

Tom.
Tom
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Merlin, Tom, Vince,
I have no doubt Paul's test is a fine test and it tells him a lot about the casting performance of each rod. The outcome (I think) is just not based on damping.
Maybe damping has an effect, but I doubt this is possible to "measure" that way.
In regard of getting some datas to cover Paul's test results I would first of all think about ERN, AA and MOI.
Especially MOI I think should be interesting here?

Am not sure if measurng the natural frequency is very helpful here, since it changes with the line weight inside the rings, right?
Would I use Bill's method to measure it?
Thanks
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Hi Bernd

I would set up with the cantilever beam set up as per Bills CCS rig and measure the settling time as shown at Figure 10.22 here:

http://opencourseware.kfupm.edu.sa/college....ons.pdf

2% of the maximum peak is an industry standard but if this is too difficult to detect go for 10%.

You could either put a small mass on to represent the line in the rings or go with no mass at all. There would be a slight difference but it would be very small and as long as the test is standardised it should be sufficient.

regards

Vince
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Vince,
I once tried to measure the NF by Bill's method. What happend was, that the rod did not swing in just one plane but started to change plane all the time during swinging. So I could not really count the number of swing per unit time.
I told that to Bill, but can't remember what the solution was or if there was one to determine this. I think I remember he agreed that this happens.

Any idea?

Will check your link in detail. Thanks
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Bernd

I'll be honest, I haven't used his method because I would build the rod regardless and play with the tip weight to suit me. However, damping by adding a nominal tip weight may help but again it would have to be a standard weight.

regards

Vince
Tom
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Tom »

Hi Bernd.
As far as I know Bill do not measure,or think that the
NF is useful?
Am I correct Bill,if you`re there? ;)
CCF is with load,and Bill have his "feelfixer". :)
The swirl,or out of plane movement will allways be there.
If you couldn`t count,most likely the rod was to fast for your eyes?
And again Bernd,how did you clamp up the rod?

Tom.
Tom
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

Bernd, one way to determine the guide placing is to try to find the direction where the blank goes in a direct line in that test.
I'm here just for the chicks.

President of The Village Idiots of Vantaa Rapids
President of The Casting Federation of Finland

-Sakke
Bill Hanneman
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bill Hanneman »

Tom wrote:Am I correct Bill,if you`re there? ;)

Yes, you are correct.

As you no doubt know, I have been eaten alive by the guros in another section for my views on frequency. :D

In the next issue of RodMaker, I have answered all these questions about how to use frequency for defining a rod. But first, we had to introduce PPF to know what one should be aiming for in the finished rod to meet a customer's expectations.
Merlin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Merlin »

Bill,

There is no guru here, maybe just a wizard. Your strong opinion is such that I have no intention to convince you about a more technical approach of frequency. You have your own and we can live with that, just regretting that a little bit of effort would bring us closer.

There is some "sweet spot" for every casting condition, some casters being just able to catch it as the conditions are changing (lengthening the line). In other words, there are many PPF. I won't try to convince you.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they wont´play if they're maltreated.
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Instead of trying to remove them, Tom, make a long carry using a Rajeff-style hard stop on the backcast to put them there, and then compare the differences between rods. I've been doing this for about 20 years. It tells you (well me anyway :p) a hell of a lot about the rod.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Merlin »

Bernd

The difficulty you have met during the frequency measurement is wobbling, due to a bad alignement of splines of the different sections, the butt one particularly. This has been demonstrated by G Spolek some years ago.

Paul, don't you think you are trying to destabilize the rod with your test?

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they wont´play if they're maltreated.
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Tom, Sakari,
I have clamped the rod at the grip section (like for the ERN measurement) and then put "some bend" to it. Grip fixed on the table and rod in the horizontal position. I let the tip go and tried to count the number of swings happening for a given time then. I can't remember the exact details, but I think I found that test on Bill's rodmaker site at that time! (Bill?)
I did not try to count by eye but simply made a video of it and then slow mo...
But the problem was the swirls.
I tried the same test with a pure blank and it did not work either. That was why I never came to that test again... yet.

The problem I have with this test anyway:
If I cast I always have different sizes of rod bend and different amounts of line weight in and outside the rings.
So what would such a single number tell me about recovery for the whole spectrum of that rod?

I agree with Paul and think his test tells me quite something. Ok, am not sure what exactly effects the results we may get with his test (obviously not only NF / damping ability). But am sure that we can sort out a rod which a high percentage of casters would feel very good about.

Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Bernd

You could do the test for a range of mass and plot the settling time. This will tell you how the damping varies across the range of use.

I think Pauls test is useful but would it apply to me, would I get the same results?

regards

Vince
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

http://theowsky.solitip.com/index.p....emid=54

If you scroll down to:
"Identification of the restoring force"

you find a test which remembers me to the measurement I tried to make about the NF.
Ludwig Reim claimed to measure the speed factor of the rod and then put out a sheet telling people which rod was the fastest (recovering rod).

Fantastic. Of course all tip action rods were in the upper part of that sheet. But having a fly line to be accelerated and different rod bends will give a complete different picture in my understanding.

Greets
B
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

VGB wrote:You could do the test for a range of mass and plot the settling time. This will tell you how the damping varies across the range of use.
Vince,
I will think about it. I would like to have two rods: One having very bad damping and one having "perfect" damping. And then see if I can detect the difference with such a test and try to get a better feeling for the relationship between the test results and what I feel during casting both rods.

Of course only Paul can run the test. :D
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de