PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

50lb B.S. hollow core braid - where to find

bebob
IB3 Member Level 1

50lb B.S. hollow core braid - where to find

Post by bebob »

Hi I'm writing this for a friend who doesn't speak English. He's trying desperately to find an online supplier of spools of at least 50lb breaking strain hollow core braid. He needs it to join his running line to shooting head to avoid a cumbersome knot, target fish is Mediterranean Tuna
anjill
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by anjill »

bebob
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by bebob »

Thanks Anjill, anybody know of a European supplier?? The shipping is nearly equal to the cost. Plus they offer a kit with 2 breaking strains he really only wants to buy a spool of 50lb
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

Just google the following:

cortland braided mono

or

gudebrod butt leader
I'm here just for the chicks.

President of The Village Idiots of Vantaa Rapids
President of The Casting Federation of Finland

-Sakke
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Sealevel in the US still has the Gudebrod 50lbs which is my favorite for connections. Lakeland used to sell it, but I think they are out.
Chris Beech
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris Beech »

Flyworld sells it by the metre.
Best Regards,

Chris Beech
Flymax
Scott Pro Staff
www.scottflyrod.com
wjc
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by wjc »

If you can't find any, you might think about just using trolling braid which is usually available (cheap) just about anyplace near salt water. I don't use shooting heads so I don't know how well it would work for that application. It works well from a strength standpoint and comes in a huge variety of breaking strengths.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Jim
Viking Lars
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Viking Lars »

If all he needs is enough to join a shootingline with a shootinghead, send me a PM and I'll send him a few feet!

Lars
Great flycasters don't think straight - they track straight.....

If it moves - and shouldn't, use duct tape...
If it's stuck - and should move, use WD40...
Nile Special
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Nile Special »

Jerry Brown Hollow Spectra. Lots of retailers in the US. 50lb is very thin and hard to splice, easier to use 80lb.

If you splice it do a few through and throughs first with a needle, it stops the loops from deforming.

It is now available in 60lb so you could use it for your whole backing requirement and have a really clean spliced setup.
Nile Special
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Nile Special »

wjc
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by wjc »

Interesting that this thread came up now. I'm making some loops for a guy to attach shooting heads to Rio Slickshooter in 35 lb test. I've never seen Slickshooter, but know that 50lb Gudebroode and 50 lb. Cortland has too big a "relaxed" interior diameter (ID) to work well for that appllication. He's sent me some slickshooter which should arrive tomorrow or the next day.

So I will make a bunch of them for him to test from 35 lb gudebroode, Jerry Brown in whatver breaking strengths worrks best and various trolling braids.

He's a surf fisherman and I don't know which will hold up best to repeatedly going through guides. I'd think any of them would be fine if waxed up well after they are attached.

He will be using loop to loop connections which are much easier than straight splices to different diameter lines as each loop can be constructed from braid of different material and, consequently, different ID's.

Below are pictures of loop to loop from a Rio Leviathan running line (50 lb Gudebroode loop) to "up spliced" Jerry Brown 60 lb backing to a loop of about 200 lb test Jerry Brown at the loop itself to eiliminate cutting wear on the Gudebroode loop.

The actual connection is pictured below. Two pass throughs with a half twist between them causes the loops to be in a bite and squeeze the connection tight and stay that way even when not under pressure.

Personally, I would forget a direct connection and use the loops instead if there is a large difference in diameter between the shooting head and the running line or if you ever plan on changing shooting heads.

http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/Loop_connect2.jpg

http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/Loop_connect3.jpg

Cheers,
Jim