PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Exotic Destinations for TV Show - Where would you like to fish?

El Gallo
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by El Gallo »

Kodiak Island, Alaska on the Karluk River for great Steelheading in mid October!!
skeg
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by skeg »

Bolivia, Venezuela,(Argentina?) - Jungle fishing for aymara, peacock bass, payara and dorado....
...and I'll tote your rods, cook your meal, and kill the mosquitos around you... :p
Peter
"...fish like a demon with a mission"-Sudesh

...just one more last cast
Mike Thomas
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike Thomas »

As many have said NZ is pretty good for the trout fishing, but it is also very under rated for Salt Water Fly as well. The kingfish and Snapper fishing can be superb and very few fish can pull as hard as a good Kingfish!
Another good salt water spot and it is as exotic as it gets is Aitutaki in the Cook Islands. It is an island paradise and the fishing is hardly touched and superb. There are hundreds of flats, lots of fish including Bonefish, Bluefin Trevaly, Giant Trevaly and Milkfish as well as hundreds of types of reef fish and almost no fishermen. Outside the lagoon if you can get a boat skipper who is willing to give it a go (they mostly want to troll) you can get a shot at Wahoo, Rainbow Runner, Tuna, Mahi Mahi, Marlin and many many others.
Do a google search for the shorts from the dvd Itu's Bones it will give you a small taste.
All the best.
Mike
Sudesh
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Sudesh »

Thanks again guys...

Your suggestions are amazing. Just love them and am drooling at the prospect of fishing some of thos locations. Thanks to you guys I am building up a very nice list.

Regards
Sudesh
Bamba Flyfishing Adevntures
www.bamba.co.za
El Gallo
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by El Gallo »

Sudesh:

Can't believe that nobody has suggested Andros Island in the Bahamas for great bone fishing, baby Tarpon and Permit.
askel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by askel »

I'd say Barbuda!

The smaller part of two islands state in the Eastern Caribbean called Antigua and Barbuda. Large saltwater lagoon that is flooded with huge bonefish, permit and snook. Pink sands, beautiful miles-long beaches with nobody but you.

You can't find anything more exotic these days.
If you are able to chew gum and walk at the same time there is a good chance that you can cast a fly
ian
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ian »

no idea what its like as a fly destination but everything i have read about ascension island in the atlantic makes me want to fish it.
there are many pacific atolls worth a visit, its an exercise in logistics and time. the cok island group has some stunning looking spots like pemberton atop. aitutaki is the most well known but is being thrashed now and there isnt a great tolerance for fishing pressure from thse fish.
Exotic tends to suggest hard to get to, different to what else is usually acessable, (expensive) and extreme fishing (maybe just watch Robson Greene show (until you throw up!) for more places, he gets to some amazing spots then fishes like an armless klutz!
P-A
BBBB Nr 1 El P!!!

Post by P-A »

Hi Sudesh
For how long are you going to film and how much funds to you get mate? Thats essential if we are going to give you solid advice.
There isnt much on the planet that beats Iceland as far as i am concerened, the vulcanism makes for intresting back grounds and the good rivers are filled with more trout, artic char and salmon than you"ll ever want.
But i would surely watch a show from the Ascension Island as Ian talked about, but that is going to cost you a shitload mate.
If you need help on Iceland just give me a PM, i have a lot of good connection there.
Cheers P-A
Portfolio
[url=http://www.per-anders_nilsson.fotosidan.se/]http://www.per-anders_nilsson.fotosidan.se/[/url]
P-A
BBBB Nr 1 El P!!!

Post by P-A »

Halibut on the fly.....
Portfolio
[url=http://www.per-anders_nilsson.fotosidan.se/]http://www.per-anders_nilsson.fotosidan.se/[/url]
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

ian wrote:no idea what its like as a fly destination but everything i have read about ascension island in the atlantic makes me want to fish it.

It is a weird place, but I didn't buy paint and pour it over this poor volcanic rock.

It is rock and dust. Colors are gray, black and red. Oh, ok, the highest mountain is green. It always winds quite hard. From South-East. The beaches are nice - but on most you can't swim due to swell. There is (or at least was) a gazillion black triggerfish. And more than enough black jacks. There is a video of me trying to avoid one of them and saying shit when the barstool was able to nail the fly. I was trying for a horse eye jack, but it turned impossible as a black jack always got in first.

If one is really lucky, this is one of those places where one can catch a YFT from a shore. If it doesn't spool you. Or get sharked.
Attachments
Ascension_Island_2010_078.JPG
Ascension_Island_2010_078.JPG (116.5 KiB) Viewed 4252 times
I'm here just for the chicks.

President of The Village Idiots of Vantaa Rapids
President of The Casting Federation of Finland

-Sakke
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

P-A, make that Atlantic halibut on fly. There is a difference ;)
ian
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ian »

did you go on the RAF flight?
you dont make it actually sound too glamorous (read exotic!)!
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

Yup, MoD flight, operated by Air Seychelles. The supply ship wasn't an option. :-)

It is not glamorous in its true sense, but I thought it was exotic. Never been to Mars on Earth before (or after). It is very hard to describe a that place, it just had its own distinctive, a bit odd, feel.
I'm here just for the chicks.

President of The Village Idiots of Vantaa Rapids
President of The Casting Federation of Finland

-Sakke
Al Greig
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Al Greig »

A good friend of mine spent several months on Ascension. He came back with some incredible fish stories! As sms says, fishing the beaches is dangerous, but can be very productive. Boats give access to very big fish.

Bait fishing from shore he was indeed spooled. Trying heavier mono only led to a broken rod. Yellowfin were the suspected culprits.
Fook, wot spawt!
Sudesh
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Sudesh »

P-A wrote:For how long are you going to film and how much funds to you get mate? Thats essential if we are going to give you solid advice.
Hi All...

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. Actually starting up a busket list at the same time :blush: .

The plan is to shoot the first series, the duration of which is 3 months comprising of 13 episodes. The destinations will be guided by the amount of sponsorship raised. Naturally, these destinations need to be reasonably easily accessible. Not sure if we will be able to get to some of the remote destinations, but will see.

All still very much in the feasibility stage, so will see how things pan out. Thanks again for all the wonderful suggestions.

Ciao
Sudesh
Bamba Flyfishing Adevntures
www.bamba.co.za