PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Greys XF2 SW--Any real world experience here? - New saltwater rod reviews or opinions

igfafly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by igfafly »

PJ - I have been fishing Colton reels for a bit now and find them to be very good, smooth, robust and reliable - they also have damn good drags, handy for the sharks, tuna and marlin we target.

Colton is USA designed and manufactured, before getting into them I checked this point specifically with the owner of the business.

Unlike with others, when you buy a Colton you don't leave a small fortune in the hands of the distribution chain - well worth a look in my opinion, dont think you will regret it. As others have pointed out they are catching on fast.

Steve
JAT
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by JAT »

PJ the Old FW's are just that, fresh water reels the new FWX is salt proof and I have used them for bones (only go as big as a 7/8) but in the salt it's NV all the way. I've sold hundreds and touch wood have never had one back! On my last trip to Mexico there was over 20 on display between us in the lodge!
Haggisboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Haggisboy »

PJ check sierra trading post website, they have a bunch of redington cpx rods on sale.
P.J. Petiniot
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by P.J. Petiniot »

igfafly-Thanks for the input, a PM is forthcoming-

JAT-Yes, that is what I heard about the FW series of reels-FW was suppose to stand for feather weight--but it should have stood for Fresh Water-hmm-

Mine is great for what I have done with it in Fresh Water, but I am certain it won't hold up to the rigors of full time salt water angling-2013 I plan on logging 100 days on the water-I am trying to get my rod and reel arsenal up to the place that I won't have any worries-

I have plenty of quality gear, I just have a couple holes that need filled-

I need a tarpon reel-

and a 10 weight rod ASAP-

Want an 8 weight, as I haven't had one in many years-and will use one now-

I want a new 7 wt 4 pc rod, as my old go to 7 wt is a 2 piecer-

But right away, I need a tarpon reel for my 11 weight and a 10 weight rod-

Thanks for your input-
If Rich Knoles had a rocket Launcher, I would be damn sick of bailing him out of jail!
P.J. Petiniot
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by P.J. Petiniot »

Haggisboy-

Thanks for the heads up at Sierra-I hadn't been there in a while and I will give it a look-
If Rich Knoles had a rocket Launcher, I would be damn sick of bailing him out of jail!
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

Keep an eye on Ebay for bargains.

I've got Colton Torrent 1315 in black. It is a good reel. Not a sealed drag so it needs a clean from time to time. No ball bearings to fail. The anodizing is thin - I use this reel for spey casting practise (that I do a lot thou) and aluminium color is visible where line rubs on the reel when I strip out line. Simple and robust with a powerful drag. A good reel. I use that as a back up for my front row reels for SW stuff. And since the front row is occupied by Makos the Colton doesn't see any action. I do use it for atlantic salmon thou. No problems so far.

I also have Nautilus CCF10. Has worked nicely in SW fishing. Mine does not like cold (if you consider 10 degrees Celsius or lower cold) as its drag starts to make charring noise and twitch. Benched this one last summer salmon fishing and put a substitute of Hardy Ultralite Disc in. That is also a reel you do not want to show saltwater due to quite exposed IAR-bearing. I want to open that hermetically sealed CCF drag, haven't yet managed thou. I don't care if I lose the warranty as it'll be probably no difference in cost to send one for repair or buying a new one.

This reminded me... off to make a carbon fibre drag plate to my old Bauer M7(a nice reel except for the FXB-cork drag that twitches).
I'm here just for the chicks.

President of The Village Idiots of Vantaa Rapids
President of The Casting Federation of Finland

-Sakke
P.J. Petiniot
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by P.J. Petiniot »

Haggisboy wrote:PJ check sierra trading post website, they have a bunch of redington cpx rods on sale.
I checked our STP and found I had a 35% off coupon in my e-mail-

I picked up an 890-4 CPX for 157 bucks, no shipping fees--

It should be waiting at home when I get back-

Probably going to pick up a Colton before the 15th of Jan, as they are running a special right now-
igfafly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by igfafly »

Have just received some Colton gear to fill in some gaps I had - have to say their rods are really well made and robust, guides are togh and well done and can't wait to give them a run on the LT's etc.

Marlin are about to hit Sydney too meaning that 1315 is going to get some more work....the makos gave it a going over in winter - interesting to see how the high speed surface game of a marlin works on it.

As PJ points out - sale ends 15th so get in now if you are looking.

Have a fish filled 2013

Steve