PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

No bass on the fly

Swithun
IB3 Member Level 1

No bass on the fly

Post by Swithun »

We've begun catching a few bass here in Jersey these past few weeks. As the numbers aren't high yet I (along with everyone else I know) have been out plugging with a spinning reel to catch the first few. Having done so, I've now switched to the fly - but with no success at all from three sessions. I have to wonder what I'm doing wrong.

So: I'm reasonable confident I am getting the fly to about the right depths. The water I fish is maybe 5 to 15 feet deep but fish are often taken in the top 2 or 3 feet. I've got a 10 foot 15 lb mono leader on. And I've tried a range of flies - of pretty standard types (clousers, marabou streamers etc). The only thing I didn't try yet - because I've not got the materials - is a really bright fly. ie hot orange perhaps, which would be appropriate in the not totally clear water. Still...I don't think that can be the whole story somehow - and that tendancy to blame the fly when you aren't catching needs strong examination.

Two nights ago, the guy I took with me was having his first crack at bass fishing - and wasn't confident with a fly rod so he took the plugs. Standing next to me he had two while I had none on the fly.

It has to presentation. I can't think what else it could be? I figure that the point about modern plugs is they present absolutely stunningly, even with a total amateur at the shore end. Add a bit of user variation and they just work better. So I tried to immitate something of what a wounded bait fish might look like - as a plug does. I tried slow, fast, deep, shallow, far, close, over weed (usually best), over sand, smooth, jerky, quick-slow-quick. Nothing - and not a sniff either. But I knew there were fish there.

I should also point out that the water is coming through at quite a pace - so there is something of a swing to the fly. Therefore there is that to play with as well.

Anything I've not thought of there? Anything else to try? I've got a smug mate who reckons that using a fly for bass is like deliberately breaking your right arm before you go out. I have to prove him wrong sometime...

Cheers,

Swithun
thefly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by thefly »

Hi mate went out today myself , no takers , but nice to be out.

Whakamahi kid
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Whakamahi kid »

Looks a bit different to the last time I was there with you :D
What's up with the non "extreme" bass fishing. You going soft? :p
Rupe
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Rupe »

I'd keep it simple Swithun and keep at it. It doesn't sound like you're doing too much wrong. Sometimes a plug will outfish a fly and sometimes vice versa.

Try to fish around the current - eg creases, bumps, calmer water on the edges and so on as fish will hang there too. Try different times of the tide - often rips fish for very specific times before the fish move off. Are they there to pick off food coming to them or moving through to feed - this could effect things.

Its still pretty early for the fly, though they're about. I had a bunch yesterday, just schoolies though.
Mike Rubino
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike Rubino »

FWIW the same things happens with stripers here in NJ. Bait guys get them first, then pluggers then flyrodders.I fish back bays and rivers more this time of year looking for an edge.. Bluefish and weakfish help fill in the gaps.
If its moving, if you see a swirl, break,bait pop, a slick, cast ! We only get so many chances no matter what we do.Take them when you can.
thefly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by thefly »

Nick,
run out of 2x overweight for the rod sharkskin , so had to fish it calm . :D
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Swithun
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Swithun »

Thanks folks. So yes - the rip is ultra specific in terms of where the fish are and at what point. Basically we try to catch them when they are either coming in or flowing off the reef, but not at high water. That way they are in the channels and can be targeted - but I think that they are moving past and also feeding at that point. There's no question that the hour before and after low are pretty poor, but leading up to and after that, the fish usually feed.

We find them in fast water and in slack (some say associated with whether they are on the sand eels or not), deep and right on the surface. But they are still a bit reticent to hit - and not that numerous - so maybe that is the problem, as suggested.

Nice pics there Mark. Very different from where we are fishing - but good estuary water, right?

I'll keep going - and post when I (eventually) get one.

Cheers,

Swithun
Mike Rubino
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike Rubino »

Mark, Murphy has a book out on striper fishing that has some great pics in it.. Trouble with it and other books written by New England fishermen is that they have both great structure and alot of fish.Makes me jealous.. :D

Mike
If its moving, if you see a swirl, break,bait pop, a slick, cast ! We only get so many chances no matter what we do.Take them when you can.
Swithun
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Swithun »

Well... I didn't catch any bass tonight and then I snapped the end off my z-axis.

Hope the Sage service is as good as advertised...
thefly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by thefly »

Fished Portland bill yesterday and the fleet behind chesil, not a sausage.

Ho hum
Gonzo
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Gonzo »

On the Hampshire coast things are picking up. Went out with a mate the other day and bagged at leat 75 fish between us during an 8-hour day, including a few decent ones later on...

~Gonzo~
joesnuffy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by joesnuffy »

nice fish steve
totsy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by totsy »

Caught my first bass tonight, woohoo.

ta, Lee.
Orvis Endorsed

www.doublehaul.co.uk/
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

A glassed out sea? You lucky bugger, we are having a heavy northeasterly blowing for a couple of weeks now.