PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Analyzer

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes but it would only measure angle change and not translation. Although the sensor is certainly accurate enough to measure only a couple of degrees I'm sure rod twist creates an error of greater magnitude.
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Tom
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Tom »

That is of course correct Paul.
1 or 2 degrees is rotation.
From a practical point of view it`s not much of
a flycast I think. :D
Well,fun to play with tailing loops....
And fun to play with the Analyzer.

Tom.
Tom
Doug Swift
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Doug Swift »

OK
I have an analyzer. I use it mainly to try and improve my own casting at this point, by trying to match the "expert casts". I use a 5 wt XP and ED line with the suggested 6' leader, as suggested in the manual.

I can get pretty close to all the expert numbers in all the categories on the 40 and 50 foot casts(at least close enough to not be criticized too severly by the written feedback from the analyzer). The 30 ' cast is a different story. I'll be damned if I can get my "stop" readings to register within a reasonable match to the expert cast. All other categories for the 30 footer are ok.

Just wondering if anybody else that has used the analyzer has had the same frustrating experience.

Another thing. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to post the analyzer results on the board. It would be interesting to see some of the results from different casters. Thanks
Doug
easterncaster
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by easterncaster »

Doug,

the manual suggests a 6ft leader, really?
why is that you think?... anybody know?

craig, sans analyzer.
Doug Swift
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Doug Swift »

Hi Craig
Yup, the reference manual specifically states the expert casts were recorded with a 6 foot leader followed with a specific length of fly line. The "expert" casts were created with the total length of line plus leader measured from the reel to the "fly". It also goes on to say (as would be expected), that varying the line and/or leader lengths will affect all casting parameters and will result in data that will not correspond with the measured expert casts.

As to the reason for the 6 foot leader, not sure.
Possibly just enough of a leader to properly dissipate the energy from the fly line to turn over the fly.??

Maybe Bruce or Noel could enlighten us a bit if they come across these posts.
Doug
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Doug, to post results you'll need some software which allows you to capture screen images. I use Paint Shop Pro, that works easily with Import>Screen Capture. I don't know which other software you can use.

Then to post it use the Add reply, instead of the Quick reply box, and attatch it as a file.

I'll ask Bruce to check out this post!
Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Doug Swift
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Doug Swift »

Paul
Thanks for the info on the Graph posts
I asked Bruce by e-mail about the 6 foot leader. This was his response
"When the expert casts were made Sage was our only customer so we used what they requested. I suspect that was the leader they used for rod and line testing. I didn't ask. It doesn't really matter except to keep that in mind when measuring casting distances . The expert casts were made with a certain amount of fly line outside the rop tip (24,34,44). Using a longer leader will result in the cast being slightly longer , but that would have a neglible impact on the analyzer charts"

Unquote

Bruce asked me to post this answer for him. He is having trouble logging on to SEXYLOOPS because he says his corporate censors have blocked the address due to the name. Apparantly he can get it fixed but it will take awhile. (Guess none of the censors are fly fishers in the know)!!

Doug
Doug Swift
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Doug Swift »

Test for analyzer image

Just doing a test to see if I can post an analyzer graph image to the board

Doug.l
Attachments
50__analyzer_graph__entire_.GIF
50__analyzer_graph__entire_.GIF (38.5 KiB) Viewed 2546 times