PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Punching it into the wind

Rudi Ferris
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Rudi Ferris »

More good advice!

And I like the smile on the face approach too. Along with the other physical bodily advice, this mental one is a real help for the beginner to enjoy their fishing and relax with what they have to do.

But I think there may be the avoidance of the obvious here. :D To cast into an opposing force, the wind, one is limited to two approaches and its best to use both.

1) Try to avoid the wind by timing your casting and/or getting under the force.

2) Creating a more forceful cast to offset the opposing force.

While number 1 is a start, there is no getting around number 2. All experienced casters use more force when dealing with a head wind. So the question is how.

This is a terrific lesson for the beginner and a most primary one; their casting efficiency is low and the way to make it higher isn’t by thrashing. When all is said and done, they have to make their lines go straighter and faster. How one does that is the center of the question.... It seems to me. :)

Cheers, Rudi
xyl
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by xyl »

Hi Rudi,

I completely agree with what you are saying.
You are absolutely right about the necessity of a forceful cast and i think i have not been clear enough on that point.
For me it's not about being "either" relaxed or using "power" it's which one is the foundation of the other.
So there are really 3 elements.

(1) Relaxing and finding that mental balance, this will allow you to

(2) focus your mind, and finally

(3) hit it fast and forceful including tubes, flylegs, and stabs if you want. :)

I learned that through skateboarding and it made a big difference for me in fly fishing too.

Cheers,
Svend
Svend

Leave no trace.
flybye
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by flybye »

Try thinking about extending the stroke length into the wind, its probably just physco babble but it works for me, makes it slow with a fast finish....... puts the line down on the water so it doesn't get blown about
TK
never complain, never explain