PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

How many?

stesiik
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by stesiik »

Hi all!

It is very useful, especially if you have some numbers from a better caster to compare with and a clear defined goal. I made a few recordings of distance work early in spring and compared them to Pauls numbers. The analyser showed that I did not reach the same peak rotational speed as Paul did and that my backcast in particular was too smooth.

Worked on this the whole season, popped a lot of new PB:s and today I did a couple of measurements. Ha! I now peak near 690 d/s and have roughly the same smoothness ratio back and fourth. The analyser clearly showed me what to work on and helped me get the results I wanted.

It should be wireless though. Tried on Fredrik today and his monster stroke pulls the plug all the time. Also, how about a sensor for translation? I would love to explore and compare translational speed between different casters/styles.

Got to send it back to the owner soon too...

Best Regards
Stefan
Dead fish don´t rise. They spawn poorly too.

Working Casting Definitions
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

Bought one this year. Was interested in cast profile of ICSF tournament casting so took it the Czech Republic for the 2009 World Casting Championships and profiled some casters in 38 gram single handed distance. Will need to validate from authors if software can handle the cast but if it does, very interesting results.

John
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

Bought one this year. Was interested in cast profile of ICSF tournament casting so took it the Czech Republic for the 2009 World Casting Championships and profiled some casters in 38 gram single handed distance. Will need to validate from authors if software can handle the cast but if it does, very interesting results.

John
gordonjudd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by gordonjudd »

Will need to validate from authors if software can handle the cast but if it does, very interesting results.

John,

I think there are ways to get at the analyzer data so that you can do some plots and analysis yourself that will get around the limitations imposed by the software that was designed for 20-50 foot casts.

A bigger problem may result from the measurement errors that happen when you rotate the analyzer out of its measurement plane as discussed here.

I would expect that most casters in the T-38 game use quite a bit of wrist rotation as they cast so that they can reach back further on the backcast. If the rotation gets to be 90 degrees (axis of reel would be nearly vertical at that point) then the angular velocity measured by the analyzer will be greatly reduced.

Gordy
"Flyfishing: 200 years of tradition unencumbered by progress." Ralph Cutter
Tom
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Tom »

Hi John.
Please post your results.
I can`t think of any reasons why not the sensor
and the software could deal with the data?
As Gordy says,there is ways to plot the raw data
from the sensor.
The output voltage is sampled every 15msec.
This is done over a total period of 15 sec.
If you`re interested I guess you can ask/mail
Noel or Bruce.
And again,I am with Gordy,the most important thing
if we`re gonna compare results,we`ll have to consentrate
on the tracking/plane of the sensor.

Tom.
Tom
jason_borger
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by jason_borger »

Own. Teach. (How's that for a simple answer? :p )

From my own experience, success depends on the client and the person reading the graphs. But when a client gets into the game of beating his/her previous graph(s), the Analyzer can become a lot of fun for people (it's always fun for the geeks).

Paul—If you see Walter ("go-wyld") at any point his year, get some time on his videolyzer (have you already? Well, if not...). Been using it to teach at the FCI for the last several years, and it has proven to be a viable "real time" solution. Maybe not as sexy as the mo-cap, but then again, you don't have to wear those little silver balls (though you looked strangely at home in them, see attached). Only downsides: current video quality/resolution and the need for half the casters to take Dramamine afterwards... ;)
Attachments
paulportrait.jpg
paulportrait.jpg (7.51 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
Tom
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Tom »

Hi.
I guess I am a geek. :D
The Analyzer is fun. :D
Take a look at the figures:
http://picasaweb.google.no/Superra....3858594
http://picasaweb.google.no/Superra....7443938
In both cases I am holding 22m. outside the tip.
In the first figure/example I am casting as usual.
(Whatever that means.)
My only conserne in the next figure/example is:
What is really needed to hold this lenght of line outside the tip.
Look at the loose grip. :D
This is fun.This is really fun. :D

Tom.
Tom
gordonjudd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by gordonjudd »

Look at the loose grip.

Tom,

We geek's have to stick together as I find this result very intriguing as well.

The rebound hump with the loose grip is much higher which implies the loose grip allowed the "kick" after MCF to cause a much bigger velocity hump.

It is interesting you saw so much ripple throughout the cast as well.

Now the "geekyness" begins. Do you have any high speed of those casts so you can compare how the rod deflection (and who knows what else) varies with the grip pressure?

In terms of reducing the waves caused by tip oscillations this data says you would want to use a tighter grip not a relaxed grip to damp them doesn't it?

Does Picassa provide Image links that you can paste directly into your post for figure data?

I use Imageshack to host my figures and find it is easy to use and allows you to put large data files directly into your posts using their IMG links. Their hosting service is free, so you might want check it out so you can include your figures directly into your posts as shown below:

Gordy
Tom
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Tom »

Unfortunately no high speed film Gordy.
I wish there was. :(
Well,always a next time of course.
It is pretty cold up here at this moment,17 degrees below zero.
These ripples seems to appeare when I really loosen up the grip.
Have any of you Analyzer guys noticed the same?
As you say Gordy,I think it would be really fun to look at some
high speed film,and how rod oscillation and line waves change
with grip-pressure and how the Analyzer reads it.
It is quite possible to paste directly into the post with Picasa.
Is it only me that like links? :D

Tom.
Tom
gordonjudd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by gordonjudd »

Is it only me that like links?

Tom,
I would be interested in other people's preference on this, but I find it is easier to see what you are talking about rather than having to switch back and forth between sites.

Have any of you Analyzer guys noticed the same?

I do not have the current single-axis analyzer because of the out of plane measurement problem when you turn your wrist, but I would love to have a 3 axis system or better yet a true 6-DOF analyzer that could be used to get position data as well. Right now those sensors are too expensive and large, but I am sure that applications such as the Wii will reduce both of those issues.

The one time I used a CA with Bruce Richards he noticed some ripple after MCF due to tip oscillations. He had me keep my grip pressure firm after the stop, and sure enough the ripple went away.

After that experience I have believed relaxing the grip pressure to damp tip oscillations was not what works for me, but I know that is a common solution (reducing grip pressure that is) recommended by other instructors.

Don Phillips says:
Just as a very firm grip is important to the sudden stop at the end of the forward delivery cast, loose grip immediately afterwards can be most helpful in minimizing rod tip after-bounce.

Hard to believe that both approaches could be true, but it may depend on what your interpretation of "firm" and "relaxed" happen to be.

Gordy