PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Steelhead scandi??

JoshN
IB3 Member Level 1

Steelhead scandi??

Post by JoshN »

So who has one or has used one? Is this a good summer line? What would be comparable to it? Thanks
iup
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by iup »

Hi, Josh

Are you referring to a specific branded line, or to a general type? If the former, which one exactly?

Your question is not clear.

Larry Aiuppy
Larry Aiuppy
FFF CI, THCI
Guideline Power Team
Industry Sales Representative
JoshN
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by JoshN »

Well I was looking into either a Rio Steelhead Scandi or a barstool steelhead head. Or would it be better with something else??
iup
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by iup »

Unfortunately, Josh, I am not familiar with the Rio Steelhead Scandi lines. While their stats (using Google to track them down) seem to indicate they might be similar to the Airflow Compact Scandi lines, with which I am familiar, I have not had a chance to cast the Rio lines, or to compare them with any others I am familiar with.

So, I guess you will have to wait for feedback from someone who is familiar with them.

Regards,
Larry
Larry Aiuppy
FFF CI, THCI
Guideline Power Team
JoshN
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by JoshN »

So what can you tell me about the barstool?? Tactical steelhead line??
iup
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by iup »

Well, Josh

First, a necessary disclosure: I am a wholesale sales representative for Air/flo in the northern Rockies. Do with that what you will as you read on.

Here’s what Rajeff Sports LLC, the North American distributor of Air/flo lines, has to say about the Tactical Steelhead line on their website product descriptions:

“Take the tight loop and casting ease of a Scandi Compact head and couple it to the versatility of a multi-tip line and you have the basis for the Air/flo Tactical Steelhead shooting head. To help cut through the wind and to make casting modest sink tips and larger flies easier, the Tactical Steelhead has a larger tip diameter than the Scandi Compact. With a smooth front taper and removable floating tip the newest two-hand line from Air/flo will convert from a floating line to sink tip better than any existing line.

The mint green colored heads come in a #5 weighing 400 grains all the way to a #9 weighing 670 grains. Unique to the Tactical Steelhead is the 8 foot removable ridged floating tip. The ridged tip helps anchor the cast. Air/flo's indestructible heavy duty loops connect the tip to the head and the head to the running line. All sizes are made on a low stretch 30lb core. Remove the floating tip and connect your favorite sink tip and get down.”

“Core: Power Core
Taper: WF
MSRP: $59.99
Sizes:5 through 9
Color: Mint Green”

For what it is worth, here’s my opinion, based on casting and fishing the lines, as well as using them in my instruction:

It is a good floating shooting head line for novice, beginning and intermediate Spey casters. It falls into that category recently dubbed “Scandit” or “Skandit” shooting heads that have recently emerged in the PNW, being longer than a compact Skagit or Scandi head, with a taper somewhere between a Skagit and a Scandi head, with more grace in casting than a Skagit, but more turnover power and ability to cast heavier flies and heavier sink tips than the typical Scandi taper. It is roughly the length (around 40 feet) of what just a few years ago was, in America, called a “standard” “Scandinavian style” floating shooting head. That length head is very comfortable to cast on rods of 11 to 13 foot length, using a relaxed “normal” length stroke for most average size people. Long armed folks or those using longer rods, will find a more compact stroke necessary, to not tear loose the anchor, but will still find the head easy to cast.

An interesting side note is the fact that only a couple years ago the Air/flo Scandi Head, roughly the same 40 foot length, was unfortunately discontinued. I feel the Tactical Steelhead is that line resurrected, with some significant and useful technical changes. These being slightly greater grain weight for a given line weight designation, a more aggressive front taper than typical Scandi lines, and an 8’ removable front end that is ridged for a “stickier” anchor. This allows the full intact line to be used with a variety of Polyleaders of various lengths and densities looped to the attached front section to be cast and fished like a floating Scandinavian head; or, with the 8’ front section removed, heavy high density “T” type sink tips looped on for casting and fishing more like a floating Skagit head. This makes it highly versatile, and a good all-rounder type of floating shooting head, with the appropriate shooting line (mono, braided or coated fly line) looped to the back end.

Thus, the same line can be used for summer and winter steelhead fishing situations on a variety of types of rivers, small and large, under a wide variety of conditions, as long as one recognizes the limitations and drawbacks of using a sink tip type of floating head line (as compared to using a true European style Scandinavian shooting head system utilizing the full range of floating, intermediate and full sinking heads in a full range of lengths, weights and densities, in the Goran Andersson/Leif Stavmo/Henrik Mortensen way).

As an instructor, I prefer my students learn with a short or mid belly “traditional” Spey line, like the Air/flo Delta or Delta Long, or a double taper line. However, if a beginner wants to quickly begin fishing with the minimal amount of skill and least amount of practice, and doesn’t particularly care about becoming an efficient and proficient Spey caster, then I recommend the Tactical Steelhead line as a decent beginner to intermediate line with more versatility at likely less expense than either a floating head Skagit or Scandi line system alone. It is a kind of “no muss, no fuss” “do-it-all” line.
Larry Aiuppy
FFF CI, THCI
Guideline Power Team
mattklara
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mattklara »

Great post Larry.

Thanks.
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?" - joesnuffy