PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Switching rods - Adjusting to different rods when fishing

piscator
IB3 Member Level 1

Switching rods - Adjusting to different rods when fishing

Post by piscator »

Paul,

I have been fishing a large river in Bavaria where we habitually start at a big pool populated by pike and huchen (Danube salmon of huge proportions) and then move on to other sections of the river to fish the evening rise for trout and grayling.

This means switching from a stiff, fast 8 weight to a much slower 5 weight. My casting with the slower rod is terrible after I have been using the heavier faster rod (the opposite is not true if I move from a light, soft rod to a heavy, fast rod). I tend to apply too much power and my sensitivity is off. I can correct my casts through conscious effort but when fishing I don't like to consciously have to work on my cast.

Is there a technique (apart from making a conscious effort) for adjusting from one rod to another? It's about "forgetting" what you were doing shortly before.

I posted this question specifically in the fishing section and not in the casting section because this problem crops up when fishing and casting "unconsciously".

The traditional wisdom is not to switch rods but it's not really an option in this case.