PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Pike "culling" on Corrib - Pike slaughter in Ireland by fisheries f

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.
Ronan
IB3 Member Level 1

Pike "culling" on Corrib - Pike slaughter in Ireland by fisheries f

Post by Ronan »

http://www.fishingtalkireland.com/forum....75f68b1

It's important that people know what's going on on Irish loughs. Thanks for reading.

Ronan..
work to live.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Kill big pike and you have many small pike. It doesn't work. The major problem, is us.
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

Surely there has to be an adjacent coarse fishery they can be moved to?

As Paul says, kill all the big Pike and you get an explosion of Jack Pike.
Ronan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ronan »

Tell that to the IFI and their "irrefutable scientific evidence" They are a law unto themselves. read this.

http://www.flyfishing-and-flytying.co.uk/blog/view/misinformed/
work to live.
Viking Lars
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Viking Lars »

That's quite schocking! I really didn't think anyone did this anymore.

Is it even legal in Irish legislation?

Lars
Great flycasters don't think straight - they track straight.....

If it moves - and shouldn't, use duct tape...
If it's stuck - and should move, use WD40...
Ronan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ronan »

It is legal.. All pike found alive in the nets over 900mm long are released. pike cannot be transferred from corrib due to biosecurity risks. I'm currently in email conversations with some members of the IFI. More to come on this in my blog when i have more info.
work to live.
Ronan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ronan »

I have a feeling the "biosecurity risks" might be a way of saving money!! Cheaper to dump them or offload onto a rendering company. That's just me speculating though...
work to live.
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

Ronan wrote:I have a feeling the "biosecurity risks" might be a way of saving money!! Cheaper to dump them or offload onto a rendering company. That's just me speculating though...
Bio Security risk is Irish for "We cant be fucking bothered spending money to move these fish" :angry: :angry:

God, Half our politicians and representatives should be burnt on a fucking pyre. :angry:
Ronan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ronan »

The main people involved who you could write to are the CEO Ciaran Byrne, Head of Operations Greg Forde, Head of Business Development Suzanne Campion and Director in IFI WRBD John Conneely. All IFI email addresses are in the format firstname.surname@fisheriesireland.ie:
greg.forde@fisheriesireland.ie
ciaran.byrne@fisheriesireland.ie
suzanne.campion@fisheriesireland.ie
Kevin.crowley@fisheriesireland.ie (inspector/PR)

Send them an email and voice your opinion and ask some questions. Kevin Crowley has been great to reply and i got some info from him. No reply from John Conneely yet (about a week waiting so i'm not expecting one) The questions I have asked are:

What areas of Lough Corrib have been netted? How many pike have been killed? How many trout and salmon have been killed? What happened to the dead fish? How often will this culling take place.

By the way, The IFI are actively promoting pike fishing on the western lakes and at the same time killing them off. Only in Ireland!

Ronan..
work to live.
Ronan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ronan »

Though it has to be said that ultimately the promotion of pike angling by members of the IFI is a good thing. Slowly the opinion "the only good pike is a dead pike" will change and positive promotion will help. Promotion needs to continue and culling needs to stop. My season on Corrib last year was my best ever for both trout and pike. My friend John O Malley was out a few days ago for pike and only touched one or 2.
work to live.