PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Counterflex & Follow thru - interaction?

Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Counterflex & Follow thru - interaction?

Post by Bernd »

Hi everyone,
Paul said (if I remember correct) he doesn't know how to reduce cf unless he avoids/reduces rod bend during acceleration.
That made me think cause I in some of his casts thought to see less cf compared to other casts while having almost the same max rod bend.
Here are some of my thoughts about how we (maybe) can reduce cf by a fast follow thru.
You may want to check where Paul positioned his rod butt during the stop.
Watching the whole video it seems to me Paul lifts and moves his rod hand forward while in addition tilting rod butt angle down. That seems at least to dampen rebound almost totally. But I think it may also reduce cf?
Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
gordonjudd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by gordonjudd »

Here are some of my thoughts about how we (maybe) can reduce cf by a fast follow thru.

Bernd,
Thanks for taking the time to generate some data relating to the "thrust/follow through" issue.

Are your violet vectors actual velocity vectors computed using Tracker or did you do it some other way?

I would expect the magnitude of the velocity to have much more change that these are showing.

Gordy
"Flyfishing: 200 years of tradition unencumbered by progress." Ralph Cutter
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

It appears that he is damping the counterflex by that movement but he could also do that be relaxing his grip. In either case, it is likely that he is trading tip velocity to minimise the counterflex.

3rd post, time for a proper shoeing because I am a poor caster
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Hi Gordy,
the violet vector is just a photoshopped arrow showing the degree of drop of Paul's rod. As well as the white point marks his hand position like it was in the first pic. Just to get a good idea of where and how he moves his rod hand and at the same time changes the degree of drop.
Due to his movement he follows the cf. That (I think) reduces it. Sometimes Paul don't puts the rod butt aside his forearm. Am pretty sure that results in more cf. Since he does not drop the rod and following cf that much in case.
Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
gordonjudd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by gordonjudd »

Bernd,
You might try digitizing his hand path with Tracker and getting the actual velocity vectors. Alejandro has used it to good effect and it will work with any type of video file.

You can download it at:http://www.cabrillo.edu/~dbrown/tracker/

Just since his arm is extended in all those framegrabs I do not think there will be much hand velocity (or acceleration) in that cast after RSP1.

Gordy
"Flyfishing: 200 years of tradition unencumbered by progress." Ralph Cutter
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Any particular reason for this choice in colour Bernd? :???:
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Paul Arden wrote:Any particular reason for this choice in colour Bernd? :???:

No :D It's just a colour.
Thanks Gordy,
I check and try to work it out!
Greets
B
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

Interesting to see Paul's hand path Bernd, and the white vectors against the background.

John
Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

VGB wrote:3rd post, time for a proper shoeing because I am a poor caster
3 posts is way too soon for a proper shoeing.. it would be too rude...anyway when it comes it won't be because you're a poor caster....its usually about over asserting a general and persistent wrongness...my first shoeing was failing to agree that a nail knot was a capsised uniknot, or visa-versa, can't remember now...brutal...I had to have psychotherapy for fkn months... :)
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Snake Pliskin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Snake Pliskin »

Mark, don't you have somewhere to be?
Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Not til 2.30, been to the gym, got some buttonholes, ironed my shirt and said F**k off a few more times to people who want me to wear a tie...some of whom are already drinking... then I'm going to watch the football with the therapixies.

Nice day for it...bring a fan... :)
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.