PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

4 Oz reel ok for Sage Zxl 3wt? - Too heavy or ok...

saflyfish
IB3 Member Level 1

4 Oz reel ok for Sage Zxl 3wt? - Too heavy or ok...

Post by saflyfish »

Is a 4 Oz reel(without line & backing) too heavy for a Sage Zxl 3wt?
Opinions and advice greatly appreciated
andy_with_a_rod
BBBB Nr 4!

Post by andy_with_a_rod »

in all likelihood yes. it's a real struggle trying to find nice light reels to fit the ultra light short rods. the sage click is the best ive found yet, a nice wide arbour and super super light. no drag system as such but lets be honest do you really need one for most three weight applications?!
"God's always with me;
standing beside me with his big black dick."

Paul Arden.
jomeder
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by jomeder »

Hi Andy,
andy_with_a_rod wrote:no drag system as such but lets be honest do you really need one for most three weight applications?!

I had a go with a 4 wt ZXL (or TXL?!) with a Sage Click and hooked a brown about 3 lb in a lake. It bolted. Unstoppable :-). Palming didn't work but I haven't done that a lot. It broke me off when it had a bunch of line out in the water IIRC. Fair enough I'd caught a bunch of smaller fish, 0.5 to 1.5 lb, and it was good and that was the first larger fish I'd hooked but it gave me the jibblies. I resolved to get a reel with a proper drag if I got a 4 weight. I'd been keen on the Click up until them, it's a nice reel. If you were going to be after smaller fish it would be fine I guess.

Regards,

Jo
kdh
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by kdh »

What lenght?
I would look for something lighter for 7'6'', but I think for 8'6'' 4oz would be ok...

Klaus
"Happy is the new sad"(Barenaked Ladies)
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

jomeder wrote:hooked a brown about 3 lb in a lake. It bolted. Unstoppable :-). Palming didn't work

if anybody's ever deserved Ryan's 'Gay Alarm' more than you then i don't know who would !

ffs - geeeeeeeez, just press the friggin' spool , man ! :D :laugh: :p
andy_with_a_rod
BBBB Nr 4!

Post by andy_with_a_rod »

I was going to say! People have landed fifty pound salmon on click and pawl reels on eighteen foot cane rods, I think you can manage a trout jo!
"God's always with me;
standing beside me with his big black dick."

Paul Arden.
jomeder
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by jomeder »

Hey! :-) I freely admit I haven't done much palming of reels so having a "larger" fish bolt was a bit of a surprise and it took me a bit to get my act together. Little fish weren't a problem, just needed a bit of pressure. It seems to me there's so little of the spool to palm. I know it's not exactly a lot of pressure required but it wasn't happening. Lack of skill no doubt and you'd get used to it I guess. I did get some other fish that day in the 2-3 lb range, but even so I still came away with the feeling I wanted a disk drag if I was going to get a 4 wt.

The owner of that rod and reel had trout to 8lb on it although that may have been before the Click.

I can definitely see landing a salmon with a click reel that has decent sized side plates or a palming rim.

Regards,

Jo
crunch
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by crunch »

Vision CDC reels are very light and have a brake, although not powerful. Listed volumes and weights are true.
rodfreak
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rodfreak »

Lamson litespeed 1 or 1.5.

(Preferably the old model!)

Cheers,

John
allegheny
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by allegheny »

Yeah, Litespeed 1.5
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

jomeder wrote:Hi Andy,
andy_with_a_rod wrote:no drag system as such but lets be honest do you really need one for most three weight applications?!
I had a go with a 4 wt ZXL (or TXL?!) with a Sage Click and hooked a brown about 3 lb in a lake. It bolted. Unstoppable :-). Palming didn't work but I haven't done that a lot. It broke me off when it had a bunch of line out in the water IIRC. Fair enough I'd caught a bunch of smaller fish, 0.5 to 1.5 lb, and it was good and that was the first larger fish I'd hooked but it gave me the jibblies. I resolved to get a reel with a proper drag if I got a 4 weight. I'd been keen on the Click up until them, it's a nice reel. If you were going to be after smaller fish it would be fine I guess.

Regards,

Jo
RED CARD FOR USING THE WORD "PALMING"...

Image :D
Bobinmich
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bobinmich »

The very lightest 1-3 wt. reels will be slightly over 3 Oz. I suppose the most discerning angler can feel 3/4 oz. difference. But then, I am certainly not in that cattegory. And drag, palm, or otherwise, it would take skill and practice to consistantly land those big fish with such light tackle.
The 'GENT'
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by The 'GENT' »

Hardy lightweight second size up, very light but expensive. I love mine.