PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

What will you learn today?

bass
IB3 Member Level 1

What will you learn today?

Post by bass »

Whether a beginner or Master of the Art, we ALL benefit from time spent with a tutor now and again.

And that includes casting!

What would you learn?

I'm lucky enough to be spending the day with Lee Cummings, AAPGAI SH Master Instructor, and a mate who has never cast.

He is obviously going to learn how to cast!

But me?

I'm going to brush up on...

- casting BIG flies on a T200 in wind
- SH roll casts
- and how to go about teaching a total beginner*, ie my mate

*How many of us have been asked to coach a total beginner? The assumption being that just because we can cast, we can teach too. SO wrong!

Anyway, suffice it say that I am REALLY looking forward to learning how to introduce a beginner to casting.

Enjoy your day.

B
Bass
TrevH
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by TrevH »

I taught four total beginners (fishing) at the week end. Two on Saturday and two on Sunday.

I learnt a lot ... including to pack sun block in my kit bag.

Have fun :)

Cheers
Trev
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

I need to learn to say no, NO, no no no........ Oh go on then.
How many of us have been asked to coach a total beginner?

Most instructors I would imagine.

Anyway, suffice it say that I am REALLY looking forward to learning how to introduce a beginner to casting.

If this is your first one let us know how you get on. You will very definately learn something :D

Tongue in cheek,

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
Stoatstail50
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Lee's technique for teaching beginners will blow you away...I use a modified version of it for non-beginners too.

He's something of an expert on pie shops as well....bit poor on cheese though...
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Gilly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Gilly »

I'm learning to rethink all my casting which is so scary and soo difficult. Like you Bass, I'm having lessons with an aapgai zen master to push me onto the next level and it's so hard but fantastic at the same time.
It's so exciting though to become more flexible both physically and mentally and on the odd occasion when it goes right it's such a leap forward.
He has the patience of a God and always makes me feel so positive after each lesson even when I know I was crap so I'm learning masses about his teaching attitude and not just about the mechanics of casting.

I'm also learning to be step back with the beginners I teach and keep it simple and fun. Although I am wondering if I might change how I teach.

I'm also learning as I mentor someone for the GAIC which is fascinating to see her develop and how she approaches explanations. It can be difficult to get the balance right between too much information and not enough. Also encouraging her to form her own style and trust in her ability.

She's also got a question and answer sheet which is harder than I thought and considering this is what I do, it's made me learn that I still have masses to learn myself.

God, I love fishing, it's such fun.
Hate the english weather though.
Gillyx
bass
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by bass »

Mike - SL isn't just for instructors is it?

Are you ALL instructors?

I'm certainly not. People just know that I've been FF'ing for most of my life, and so I get asked for coaching/lessons. I ALWAYS push them towards an experienced pro instructor.

Anyway - the day was superb!

Stoats, you're right...Lee's technique with beginners is truly excellent.

Andrew had never touched a fly rod before. Had done a bit of float fishing when he was a boy, 30+ years ago!

Anyway, guess how long it took Lee to teach Andrew how to double haul?

Yup, 90 minutes!

I'm serious. This morning he had never touched a fly rod. Now he can walk up to any piece of water with a loaded rod, and not only cast beautifully, but double haul as well.

Pretty neat.

And it was a joy to watch.

I've always been a believer in the fact that there is a law of diminishing returns when it comes to speech - the more you talk, the less useful every additional word is.

Lee only uses what's necessary.

Let's face it, learning how to cast is quite an ask - why confuse your pupils by talking too much!

What did I learn?

Well...

- how to teach a total beginner
- 'properly' matched lines to rods are usually too light
- elliptical cast
- oh, and a bunch of other stuff that I'm sworn to secrecy over ;-)

Keep practising.

B
Bass
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Great! I'm pleased you had a good day. Lee's as good as it gets.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Gilgamesh
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Gilgamesh »

Anyway, guess how long it took Lee to teach Andrew how to double haul?

Yup, 90 minutes!

I'm serious. This morning he had never touched a fly rod. Now he can walk up to any piece of water with a loaded rod, and not only cast beautifully, but double haul as well.

Hmmm......I didn't get to that point in 90 days....or even 90 weeks for that matter!

I went for some casting practice on Sunday....not really practice, just needed to cast a line again and there wasn't much wind.....
.......if you don't use it, you loose it! :(
There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded of men be plunged in his deepest reveries - stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region.
bass
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by bass »

It's SO worthwhile getting instruction from someone well qualified.

The ability to teach casting, is a skill in itself, and may not even have anything to do with being able to cast! Well, not at Casting 101 level, anyway!

Treat yourself. Get a lesson.

I can vouch for Paul Arden and Lee Cummings, but I'm sure there are other good ones hereabouts ;-)

Try and get a recommendation.

Why don'y you combine it with a trip to Cumbria - get a lesson with Lee followed by some guided mullet/bass/trout/seatrout/salmon fishing.

Oh, and no, I'm not on commission!

Cheers,

b
Bass
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi Bass
If only you understand polish, and could read what polish people think about it.
Do you know that in Poland people who are able to put a fly in the lake, they call themself accurate!!!!.
I had a big forum fight, that my self offering casting classes for a certen price, makes me posh, and make everybody think that Im looking for the fulls who will pay for the course.
They are complaining about spending 8h with the instrucor, and then what happen if they dont cacth a fish, the only person to complain to is the Instructor.
The answer for my posts about importance of being able to cast good is " what do I need for if as the way Im casting makes me to catch fish"
They complain about the price, but when I ask them why they buy fly rods for the price bigger then their salary, and then complain that the rod doesnt load( i have no explanation for this), the answer is that tjey have real pice in their hands insted of knowledge that they are not sure about.
Another example Italy- i offered my help with casting as FFF instructor, questions are- do you teach TLT, answer NO, their reply- a ok, thank you then we'll find somebody else.
So you see Bass, first we need to find people that understand US instructors, then we can make them happy with our knowledge.
Ive learned that you can not fors anybody to learn, unless they want it.
Cheers
mike
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Michal Duzynski »

".... force anybody to learn"
just a corection of my writing.
Cheers
mike