PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Daiwa New Era Cartridge reel for saltwater - opinions?

formula1
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by formula1 »

Jeroen wrote:I have a Nautilus CCF and I am very happy with it. But recently a mate of mine saw a Nautilus NV freeze up on a fish. Couldn't be restored.
One of the guys I know took a few apart and he noted that the drags and internal finish were rougher than he would expect from a reel of that price range. That said I bought a Nautilus CCF a few years ago as a gift to my brother and he's been happy with it so far.
wcb
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by wcb »

formula1 wrote:
Jeroen wrote:I have a Nautilus CCF and I am very happy with it. But recently a mate of mine saw a Nautilus NV freeze up on a fish. Couldn't be restored.
One of the guys I know took a few apart and he noted that the drags and internal finish were rougher than he would expect from a reel of that price range. That said I bought a Nautilus CCF a few years ago as a gift to my brother and he's been happy with it so far.
Can you explain what you mean??

The Nautilus reels (NV & CCF)have a drag that is totally sealed and separate to the reel frame.
So unless you break the factory sealed drag open all you can see is the casing of the drag.

He who laughs last laughs longest

http://devonschoolofflyfishing.com For the BEST guiding and tuition in the Southwest of England

www.funkyflytying.co.uk
wjc
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by wjc »

It is part of the game. You could however argue IMO if a manufacturer should supply you with a standard spare set of cork washers with the initial purchase.

I agree. But the problem with the Tibor is that the cork is glued to the big aluminum gear. The spool itself is what rides on the cork. There are no other washers involved.

So what is really needed is a spare gear with a new bearing, not just a cork washer. It is a very simple design and very quick to change out, but only if you have the proprietary part. The gear can be easily removed with two fork or spoon handles.

I think I will send them an email and find out what those two parts cost, or at least the gear. And find out what they charge for a new cork on the one I have. It would be nice to be able to just slap some more washers in there and be done with it.

The bearing is probably a standard size.

Cheers,
Jim
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

If I know anything about Tibors (from a friend who owns quite a few) it is that their customer's service is excellent. I am pretty sure that they will sort you out in a hurry.

Cheers,
Jeroen
formula1
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by formula1 »

wcb wrote:
formula1 wrote:
Can you explain what you mean??

The Nautilus reels (NV & CCF)have a drag that is totally sealed and separate to the reel frame.
So unless you break the factory sealed drag open all you can see is the casing of the drag.
My apologies, I checked with him, I mis-remembered what he'd said. He sees a lot of reels and takes apart everyone that he can. His comment about the Nautilus was that the drag felt rough and that it did not have as much top end drag as he would like in a reel. I've also heard similar opinion from a well regarded Florida Keys guide. As I said, I bought one as a gift for my brother and he's been happy. but then again he doesn't go around chasing good size blue water game fish on fly most of the time...
wcb
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by wcb »

Thanks for the clarification.
As you probably know Nautilus is based in Miami so is extensively used and tested in Florida as well as the rest of the US and the world.

The whole point of the CCF drag system is that is super smooth so i am somewhat surprised to hear that its not.
Of course every manufacture has the odd reel that go's wrong and maybe your friend had one.
He who laughs last laughs longest

http://devonschoolofflyfishing.com For the BEST guiding and tuition in the Southwest of England

www.funkyflytying.co.uk