PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

7 weight Switch, which one is best? - Not happy with my Guideline 7/8

Saulyboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Saulyboy »

Just thought I'd give you guys an update since getting my mitts on the 7119 TCX. This is an absolute belter of a rod and I managed to source this one in the US for less than half rrp.
Lines wise I've been using a Skagit Flight 475gr and Steelie Scandi 450gr, with a multitude of tips and all go extremely well. Much to my surprise the Flight head will happily turn over T14, so this is truely a versatile peice of kit.
For shorter work I've got a couple of Barstool 40+ WF8 which Spey and over head just fine with 5ft tips attached.
At 11ft 9" I was a little dubious over the switch claim as it's really more of a mini spey rod than overhead tool. However, the rod seems to defy gravity and actually weighs nothing. So you really don't need forearms like Popeye to overhead cast this bad boy.
All in all this is a pretty awesome versatile bit of kit that will happily tick most of the boxes for smaller river work in the UK.
Being a 7weight its not going to land moby dick, I've struggled to keep control of some fish over the summer. I've seen guys using 5weight switch rods for Atlantic Salmon and in these days of catch and release playing a fish for an eternity, because your quarry has completely outgunned you is not a wise idea :glare:
Snake Pliskin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Snake Pliskin »

I've seen guys using 5weight switch rods for Atlantic Salmon and in these days of catch and release playing a fish for an eternity, because your quarry has completely outgunned you is not a wise idea

Yeah I don't get that. I just don't see the advantage in using very light gear for atlantic salmon. I'm not sure if there is a huge advantage presentation wise.