PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Roll cast shooting

Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Hey guys,
about the "when to let go" point...
I think it's important to understand that there is a small delay between lifting our finger(s) of the line until it really runs thru the guides.
This is what me and Aitor have seen in our slowmotion studies.
So even if the caster thinks he leaves the line go prior to RSP1 (rod straight position after straightening), it might result in the line starting to run thru the guides just close to RSP1 and no longer significant after RSP1 (as it may have been before).
So by lifting the finger(s) early we can improve but it doesn't have to mean the line starts running thru the guides prior to RSP.
I think in order to get the line running thru the guides prior to RSP1 one would have to let go very early. Have tried it and it did not feel to be extra effective.
Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Bernd

Have you got some kind of trigger to show when you lift your fingers and a mark on the line, or have you and Aitor got hold of something better than the casio's?

I found different :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Hi Lasse,
we have tried to use a "plug". I was holding the plug + line and then the plug would fall when releasing the line (lifting my finger). Wasn't easy to see exactly though. But it already seemed like there was a small delay.
Of course I remember your vids including your trigger, too.
On my latest vids about this I used different kind of marks on my line. A simple knot (small loop) worked best. That way I clearly see that line part starting to move on which I was holding/releasing it.

You found no delay to be included here and instead the line immediately would shoot?
Greets
B
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
Eagle Crest
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eagle Crest »

Stu,

Have a look at this video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?f....v8&NR=1

This has a haul and it shoots line. I know it as the Tongariro Roll cast, but I see it's called other things in the videos.

Steve
Veni, Vidi, Pisci
Chris Dore
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Chris Dore »

SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
Malcolm
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Malcolm »

I had a look though my pictures of me doing single hand spey and rolls and I always release after RSP. This is a typical example where the tip is well past RSP as I am about to release albeit this is a hauled cast rather than the basic roll.

alp
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by alp »

No one here has mentioned the line profile and head length. Short headed lines, back weight distribution, longer leader - 20 yards static roll is easy. Half an hour of training is enough for that. Weight distribution closer to the top of the line head, long headed line - 20 can be a mission impossible.

Start slow, finish fast as you can is not a good formula for distance roll. Start slow, be fast enough at the end - with appropriate line - is a much better option for fishing purposes.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Key to the dynamic roll is landing a smooth straight anchor in line with the target, with only the leader and line end touching the water. Watching the line end from lift to forming the D-loop and also separately watching the tip path (always inclining) is key. To get really proficient at this can take months of practise, but is well worth the effort. If you haven't done this, and off both shoulders, then my advice is to make this a winter project. Afterwards it's a simple move to the single Spey. Later you can learn to dip the rod if you want.

For the delivery cast I very much like to make the snap from elbow rotation as opposed to wrist rotation. I'm guess this is what Al Burr means when he describes "torquing the rod".

These are the fundamentals that you need in place that you should work on for consistency. If your anchor is inconsistent then so will your delivery. I think anchor placements, accuracy targets and distance casting are the big three to learn in becoming a solid all-round caster.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
alp
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by alp »

Paul, I have a question. Dynamic roll and jumping roll/switch casts, are they the same thing? Because I always thought this are two different techniques. Is this a dynamic roll?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ9y3q_5jgI
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Alex,

I've always considered the dynamic roll, jump roll and Switch casts to be one and the same. However I am also aware that some instructors consider a dynamic roll to be different, ie where the line never actually leaves the water, instead slides across the water and the D-loop is extended and dynamic.

Do you find value in teaching them separately? I've never tried teaching a slide variant but have always used and gone to jump/switch. Indeed I consider the Jump/Switch to be "dynamic".

In the UK we had Roll Cast and Jump Roll, the Jump Roll being dynamic. The term "Switch" meant something different (Single Spey with no anchor when I started teaching, but it meant a simple Roll Cast long before this). It's only recently, perhaps in the last 15 years where Switch meant Jump Roll, and this followed from mainland Europe using this term and us adopting it.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
alp
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by alp »

Thanks Paul. Usually I was demonstrating sliding version (dynamic roll) as an upgrade of basic static roll. One of many that helps to cast further. Switch cast as another technique. I hope it was not a mistake.
Stu Jamieson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Stu Jamieson »

Sterling advice there, fellas (you are all fellas, right?). I've been a bit out of "the loop" (you see what I did there? ;) ) the last couple of weeks with organising my school reunion and I've got one more week of my daughter's school holidays, but then the rod comes out again and I'll be putting your advice to use. Looking forward to it. :)
Don't advertise!
Malcolm
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Malcolm »

When I was first taught the switch cast over 35 years ago it was a cast used by wet fly fishernmen with long light rods. It was done like: for a righthanded fisherman on the left bank and the line on the dangle (directly downstream). Perform a large clockwise circle with the rod tip and that will place the anchor downstream of the fisherman with the Dloop facing across the stream ready to be rolled (or switched) directly across the stream. Extremely elegant to watch.