PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Flash for wide angle

Nutter
IB3 Member Level 1

Flash for wide angle

Post by Nutter »

Hunting down a flash to run off my old school D80. Problem is I've got a sigma 10-20mm lens that I want to use. Am I missing something but all the flash units talk about flash zoom but only to 24mm

Is there units that will work with a wide angle lens OR is there another way that I'm missing

Thanks
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

why not slip on a diffuser ?
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

My Canon 580EX has a diffuser that widens the range to 18mm. When using the lens in broad daylight (fill-in) I have used an Omnibounce diffuser with some success.
Rich Knoles
flybitch 2008

Post by Rich Knoles »

Like Jeroen I use the 580 EX diffuser. I have also used a 3x5 inch note card attached with a rubber band. Depends on what you're shooting and what you're after.
Nutter
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Nutter »

What Im looking for is some wide crazy close up pics at night. 99% will be angler holding a fish with nose pointed at the camera. Trying to get a different feel ( really want to make the fish look bigger than it is) but am unsure if a flash will fill the pic. As I don't have a flash yet thought I would ask before running out and getting one.
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Sounds like you don't only need a flash but some additional lighting as well. The big shiny object in front of the lens will absorb the light and leave the rest dark. In your mind's eye these pictures look spectacular, but without aids like slave lights and reflectors they always turn out crap (IMHO).

Cheers,
Jeroen
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Nutter
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Nutter »

Thanks mate,

After a bit of surfing the web, found out when talking zoom range on flashes they are talking about full frame cameras. So a 24mm on a full frame is about 18mm Ish ???????????? on a cropped camera

Still got more searching
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Crop factor on Canon APS sensor is 1.6, on Nikon it's 1.5, so that would be ok.
The 580EX recognises the sensor and adapts the focal range accordingly. With the inbuilt diffuser, the zoom goes down to 14 mm, but the crop factor has already been taken into account.
skeg
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by skeg »

Nut', you can try to bounce the light, or to use a TTL cord for off camera flash...maybe you get somewhere...dunno, have to experiment.
Peter
"...fish like a demon with a mission"-Sudesh

...just one more last cast