PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

hauling for distance - lets talk about body movement

Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi Walter,and thank you.
They've been broken,nicely :p, not even one crack lenght wise.
The noise: Ive been told that the haul has to explode on the end, and I think if I manage the same noise on the FC, I will go further. Im not sure.
Late and Fast, that is perently key to sucsses.
Cheers
mike
Hal Jordan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Hal Jordan »

Hi Mike,

A clean break, according to Tim Rajeff's site (where they sell barstool), indicates either a manufacturer's defect or that the rod has been hit or that it hit something. The presence of length wise cracks would indicate too much stress was put on the rod.

If we go on the premise that the rods had defects or had been hit at some point there are a lot of things that can happen. They don't break on the next cast after being hit. It can take weeks before the rod actually breaks following a hit. I've worked in a shop for a while and I've seen people pick up a rod from the rack, wave it around, hit something and then put it back. The person buying the rod ends up bringing it back shortly after.

I also know that at least one of the rods I've broken was a result of being hit with a streamer while fishing. The rod was fine until I loaned it to a student in a class about a month later. I was watching him false cast with about 30 feet of line and the rod simply broke.

What I'm saying is that maybe you've just had a run of bad luck or maybe you've been doing something inadvertantly that causes the rod to break. I don't think it's your casting based on the videos unless you occasionally hit the ground during counterflex on your back cast. I'm sure you would notice that if it happened.

Maybe you hit your rod sometimes when casting? Again - you would know that better than I would.

Graphite is funny stuff. Stronger than steel but more fragile than glass. That's why they have life time warranties on rods.

The loud back cast is still curious though. Hauling shouldn't cause any change in sound. The loudness could indicate that you are experiencing extra air resistance on your back cast for some reason. It might be worth trying to figure out what is causing it. Maybe take some videos directly in line with your casting from the front and the back...
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Thank you again Walter.
TCR, deffenetly my falt as I put to much wax
Two others were mi friedn's, and I dont know if they everbeen hit.
SL rod I had a week, brand new, used it only for casting.

Touching the groud on the BC, Im not remember of doing it (or maybe dont realsesed that, but i dont do it).

As soon as this creazy weather stop, I will work on another video,
thanks Walter
mike
Hal Jordan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Hal Jordan »

Michal Duzynski wrote:SL rod I had a week, brand new, used it only for casting.
You didn't happen to beat Paul in a friendly competition did you? :p

A week old and a clean break? The weak spot could have been there long before you had it.

The other rods from friends - who knows? We all feel bad when we break something we borrow from a friend. It doesn't mean it was actually something you did wrong. It could be that if you borrowed one of my rods it would break for you much sooner than it would for me because the rod may already have a problem but my casting is a lot less powerful. But if there is a problem with the rod it's going to break eventually even with my noodle arm.
Lasse Karlsson
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Walther

You can have my noodle arm, then they won't :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Hal Jordan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Hal Jordan »

Bloody Vikings! :p