PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Loop to loop?

saflyfish
IB3 Member Level 1

Loop to loop?

Post by saflyfish »

Hi
Using fine tippet (5x,6x,7x) what is a good way to make a loop in it that doesnt break.I use the loop to loop for connecting leader to tippet.
Daniel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Daniel »

I use a perfection loop myself, although not down as fine as 7x. Might be something something better when going that small.

Considered using micro rings?
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

What is the advantage of using loop to loop for leader to tippet?
_Ré
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by _Ré »

Non-slip mono loop. But I would rather use a double surgeon.
"who knows absolutely everything about everything"
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Perfection loop is more than fine in those sizes.
What is the advantage of using loop to loop for leader to tippet?
very quick changes of the tippet size/length and/or dropper rig without shortening the main leader. mostly interesting for the dropper sets, i keep several different rigs on a foam card and can change set up without having to construct them each time.

cheers,
marc
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

Ok, I use a short piece of 0.18 or 0.20 fluoro between leader and tippet just for the sake keeping the main leader at length. Then I attach the tippet on that piece by double uni's. The rest of the attachments are all loops. Might start looping tippets as well. I use a Rapala or similar knot for open loop connections using thin mono. Works fine for me. Otherwise a perfection.
crunch
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by crunch »

I use 2mm tippet ring tied with Uni knot and UV knot glue for trout leaders and 3mm ring for salmon and salt leaders. Dropper is easy to tie to the ring but it does not prevent tangling and 2mm ring does not sink dry fly leader either.

Best gadget for tangle free dropper is "dropper roller" but commercial ones are bulky. I make them melting collars to the both ends of short piece of 1,5mm inner tube fly tube and install it to the leader between knots.
Hal Jordan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Hal Jordan »

Saltwater guys use the bimini twist in their class leaders because it maintains 100% breaking strength. I certainly wouldn't want to tie one while standing in the middle of a river though. If I want the strongest possible loop and I can prepare it before going to the river (such as when attaching running line to backing) I use it. Another knot that has high breaking strength and is fairly easy to tie in any situation is the spider hitch but it tends to waste a lot of tippet. My preferred knot for making a loop while standing in the river is the perfection loop.