PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

4x4 - Suzuki Jimny

Gilgamesh
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Gilgamesh »

Hi

The Jimny is the smallest real 4x4, diff locks and the lot.

It can take on serious 4x4's and sometimes go further, but they do have a tendency to fall over under certain conditions (hectic offroad) due to the short wheel base.

I recently bought a Jap import 1996 RAV4, and I'm now sure it's more 4x4 than most people need.... :)

Cheers
Gerhard
There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded of men be plunged in his deepest reveries - stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Well yes I have slept in it, but that's not quite the shed I meant :p
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Also on the negative side, the suspension is hard, which makes it uncomfortable on long drives. I wouldn't take it anywhere seriously rocky, it just doesn't have the clearance. I've had a Terrano stuck by following tyre tracks, with the Jimny you'd always have to straddle them. I wouldn't take one into the mountains of NZ. But at least here in Hungary the Lada Niva is a very popular small 4x4 and the Jimny will certainly go anywhere one of those will (and from what I hear it's not only more reliable but cheaper to run, as well as considerably quicker). I guess it depends what you need it for.

I've bottomed out three times - recently in a snowdrift, earlier this summer on a tree stump and last year in deep mud. I've clipped a few trees, various panels have dropped off, the steering lock crapped itself and has been removed, but it has been very reliable. By contrast I virtually wrote a Discovery off at the beginning of the year when I crashed through a tree stump.

I'm very, very hard on cars. I killed a 10 year old Terrano in five summers and a Toyota Surf in six months. So I guess that's a pretty good recommendation!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions