PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

shooting head experts - help please

Ben_D
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ben_D »

So if you're cutting a DT is it best to have the one remaining taper at the front or the back?

At the front James :)

and in my case it will be level line without any taper.
Any ideas how it my effect turnover?

Badly! Splice or weld some front taper on to it.

Anyone use a double taper sh?

Yup, works O.K, better with a little bit of RT put back on but not essential.

Cheers

Ben
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

Ben_D wrote:At the front James :)
That's interesting because with the few I've made I've left the taper at the rear for more stability when aerialising a long head. I figured I could sort out the front end delivery with a tapered leader etc.
Ben_D
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ben_D »

Maybe you're right, I'm no expert at this head thing!! It would have to be a fairy chunky tapered leader to tame the level end of a DT9 though. I know some get good results from heads with a long RT, I don't but some rear taper is definitely good.
Try welding or splicing a bit of taper onto the back end of a cut DT, that adds stability. WHen you say long, how long are you talking about?

Cheers

Ben
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

DTs: why not cut out from the middle/belly and have the original tapers fore and aft ?

from this <IIIIIIIIIIIII//IIIIIIIIIIIIIII>
to this <IIIIII//IIIIIII>----------------

cheers,
marc
Ben_D
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ben_D »

Something like that Marc :D
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

As per Marc's post, always have taper at front. One of the best fly distance casters I have ever seen always put a short back-taper on his distance practice lines saying it assisted with loop formation. I have experimented with all sorts of combinations and have not found it to be so. I subscribe to the belief that you "train as you play". Would be interesting to examine options on Torsten's model.

John
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Ok,this is how it goes.
60' /26g, much to long. Same shit, piles like no tommorow.
The line I was writing b4 (unknown level one), this morning I melted 15 inches of "front taper", and end up with 57'/27g, I must say that there was an improvment, still piled,but not as much ( I wont talk about distances yet,not yet).
I realized, that is still to long,as Im having problems with pick up,and creating proper initial loop.
So I cut 2' off. Now 55'/26g. Unfortunatly with 55'+ 3'(haul lenght out of the tip)+ 9' rod lenght=67' of line to pick up,which still was too long for me. As per #5 distance, I start my pick up most of the time at 60'.
Main thing is that I improve my lay out a bit. Sure thing is that I have shits lots to learn-but it's Fun.
One more thing, Ive noticed. When I shoot, fully open my hand line,it piles more,but when I shoot and on the begining let the running line slide through my hand (adding friction), and in the last fase open it, seems like the head gets turbo charge and has enough power to land straight.
That is just an observation after 2nd attempt with SH.
Cheers
mike
Ben_D
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ben_D »

What running line are you using Mike?

Can you explain "pile"? Is it turing too early and dumping or is it landing before it has straightened?

Cheers

Ben
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Hi Ben
At the moment red amnesia 20lb dont know the dimeter of it(I have also 15lb/0,39mm), but for the first time I thought I use thicker one.
Its landing b4 it straightened.
Cheers
mike
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

So you are effectively using a level line Michal. A 15 inch taper is not helping much at all. To straighten effectively you need a taper of 6 feet as you would find on a double taper line. Give the level lines away, they will stuff your technique up and frustrate you forever. 55 feet of the front half of a DT line is fine to start with and play with your overhang length to impact your loop turnover.

John
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Ciao,
Yes John, and that's what I did (the level line head is out).
As, Im thinking about all of it,I realized that,the darker is under the lighthouse.
As I said,Im just starting, and I think it was a misteake to go straight away to long/heavy heads. All the problem can be at the base and my low ability to cast SH.
This is what I did, my previous long heads, I cut to this 52'/20g, 52'/24g
and I will start from here.
Will give you feedback on Saturday.
Cheers
mike
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Ha!-improvment (not a milestone), but one step at the time, that will give a nice day today.
Ok.
Head (Barrio 125 #8) 53'/24g, and this is good lenght for me at this stage.
Now,I started with pick ups and fals cast, shooting and it lands on 30-32m, not as stright as I want it.
I decided,to shoot after the pick up only, I aimed high (loop is good), which gave me time to position my shoulders,grip, think of straight tip tracking, and concetrate on late rotation. Boom 35m,37m.(nice as a beginner)
Now,Im thinking what I did in the shooting fase, and put it in the fals cast,and crap Im loosing it, I dont know if I get nervous,'cause I have to think of the front loop and back loop.
Then, I shoot it on the secend-better.
I put in my head that, even after third fals cast, the BC b4 delivery is my controled pick up one.
Things are getting better, but the time of my session is running out, bugger(always the same)

Those are observations after today,
The most important thing is that Im moving forward.
Keep u posted of the observations
cheers
mike
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

....one more thing, now after analizing, my casting today, I think the problem was in to much overhang that I couldnt control. If I have nice FC, after just one pick up (app 1m of running out of the tip). That must be it.
Fals casting and extending thin running line- Im loosing it.
Plan for next session.
After pick up, I will add running inch by inch.
Cheers, thanks for listening.
Mike