PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Recoils or not Recoils?

_Ré
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by _Ré »

Bernd wrote:Paul,
what makes the HT special compared to other fly rods?

- graphite technology?

- rod action?

- stiffness profile?

- mass distribution?

- overall weight?

- diameter?

- MOI?

Any (measurable) numbers in any category pointing out a difference? :cool: :blush:

I am not Paul, but still.. I think the magic is how the tip behaves what comes from maybe the first four you mentioned. Recovery and tip bounce are exceptional and they are achieved without being very stiff.
For some reason I cast farther with it than with a tcx (as do a couple of others here).
Swing weight seems to be very low too, someone should measure MOI to prove that.

What exactly do you hope to achieve with adding mass to the tip? What you will have is more counterflex and higher swing weight. How does that help you? If for some reason you would like to have a rod that bends deeper I would get a rod with a different stiffness profile or go one line weight down. Otherwise with adding mass to the tip you only get a similar result with a higher swingweight.
"who knows absolutely everything about everything"
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

_Ré wrote:What exactly do you hope to achieve with adding mass to the tip? What you will have is more counterflex and higher swing weight. How does that help you? If for some reason you would like to have a rod that bends deeper I would get a rod with a different stiffness profile or go one line weight down. Otherwise with adding mass to the tip you only get a similar result with a higher swingweight.

I'm guessing the last part of your question was aimed at me. The rod was built for a specific purpose, to fish an overgrown small stream.

I will be honest I followed the crowd and bought a graphite blank (7'9" #3) because everyone knows that graphite is best :p . The majority of the fishing is within 20ft, there is usually too much vegetation to cast further. Initially I built the rod true to its weight but found it difficult to load with only 10 ft or so of line out of the tip. Next I overlined it, which resulted in an easier cast but shit presentation, I was spooking fish. Next I put on a heavier tip and underlined and the rod did the job. The difference in swingweight was not really noticeable and the power was to low for counterflex to be much of an issue.

However, I did not get something for nothing because once I put out a longer line it was very easy to tail. Although it is a bit of an oddball it did the job very well. James 9118 did manage to put out a full line on it and can give you a distance casters assessment of it.

As a longer term solution, I now use a 6' 6" #2/3 steffen s-glass for that stream but the other rod is better to fish heavier nymphs or duos.

regards

Vince
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

VGB wrote: Although it is a bit of an oddball it did the job very well.
About sums it up for me :D . I thought you'd grafted a #2 tip to a #4 rod :p .
Bernd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bernd »

Hi Akos,
I agree with you the relationship between stiffness profile and tip bounce feels excellent on the HT.
If it is different from other rods in the same area we should be able to measure that.
Will deliever it's MOI soon.
Still I would call the HT to be a pretty stiff tip action rod.
Unless you add a heavy line that is of course...
Anyway it offers me a good feeling on medium length of 5 and/or 6wt. lines, too.

About adding weight... (for example via a more weighted ring set). It can result in a stiffness profile and action profile that simply fits perfect for the purpose I would use the rod for. And then there might be other advantages due to a different ring set (as written before).
For example I use quite heavy SIC rings on some of my DH rods. They would be little stiffer with snakes for sure.
But the stiffness the rods have are just what I want it to be. And the shooting abilty of the SICs is excellent.
Simply I prefer to have the rods with the heavier ring set here (have tried both).
Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche
www.first-cast.de
_Ré
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by _Ré »

Does the weight of the rings make a difference before the stop? I mean as you accelerate the rod tip and you are moving a couple of grams of flyline with it can the weight of the guides (I think way less the 1 gram around on the upper half) make any significant difference in how the rod bends (loads)? I think it only matters after the stop and because of that it only affects counterflex and tip bounce. Was this ever measured or examined by someone who understands more about physics than I do?

Cheers,

Ákos
"who knows absolutely everything about everything"
Merlin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Merlin »

There is a small difference due to the effect on the speed of the tackle (frequency). With the heavier set of guides, the system is slower so the maximum bend increases and the speed of recovery decreases. The difference in line speed is difficult to detect, it is small anyway, it can be better or worse, it depends on the fit between the tackle speed and the characteristics of the cast.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they wont´play if they're maltreated.
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Merlin

With the rod that I built and James cast, the tip weight made a noticeable difference in the tip path. It was very sensitive to the input that I suspect would need a modal analysis to really understand.

Vince
Merlin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Merlin »

Vince

It could be that some wrist input could give some emphazise to the second mode. Any video available?

Merlin
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Merlin

I'm afraid not but unless the initial acceleration of the cast is slow, it tails. It is much less apparent when you haul it.

Vince
Merlin
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Merlin »

Your blank must be slow then, adding extra weight make the system quite difficult to control, just as a WW II cane rod.

Merlin
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

Merlin

It was a cheap Rainforest 2 blank RF2F793-4

From the catalogue it is described as IM7 7’9” #3 4 piece Fast action, Tip (3.5/128), Butt OD 0.31”, weight 1.30 oz.

I have not cast it for a while so it might be time to dust it off and see if it feels any different.

Vince
petevicar
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by petevicar »

Hi everyone.
I have tried to follow this thread but it all seems like personal preferences rule.

A question.-

I have a Winston MX 12wt rod that I have used for Tarpon and GT fishing.
The guides have gone rusty and I was thinking of rebuilding it this winter.

What guides should I use?

The original chrome guides are pretty crap.

I will not be using this rod all the time and may take it on two or three trips per year.

Thanks.

Pete
sms
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by sms »

Depends on your preferences.

Titanium frame lined guide(s) as strippers.

For the rest, if you want crisp, use Recoils. The downsides might be wear and cost. Use snake type if you fear sound. Tip either normal chromed or titanium framed lined one. The chromed one may rust thou.
If cost and a bit of weight is not an issue, single foot titanium framed lined all the way including tip.
I'm here just for the chicks.

President of The Village Idiots of Vantaa Rapids
President of The Casting Federation of Finland

-Sakke