PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

New to the forum.

Reelman
IB3 Member Level 1

New to the forum.

Post by Reelman »

Just a quick hello to you all, lurked for a while and thought it time to get involved.
My user name says it all I suppose, but reels are my passion, and I have a modest collection of various makes, some for collection and others I use.
I just adore pretty and well engineered reels, it's an addiction I think.
I am awaiting delivery of a semi auto reel from Thinkfish of Spain the Bold.
http://www.thinkfishworld.com/web/en/producto/bold/
I have had a play with others mainly the Vivarelli, and was quite surprised just how easy and functional they are, a case of once tried and your hooked.
No pun intended, it's due at the weekend, so ill put a review up on it for anyone that might be interested.
Cheers, S.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Reelman, and welcome to the Board! :cool:
I'd be interested to know how you find the reels. I've tried the Vivarelli and love the idea. Unfortunately them may not be robust enough for me!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Reelman
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Reelman »

Paul Arden wrote:Hi Reelman, and welcome to the Board! :cool:
I'd be interested to know how you find the reels. I've tried the Vivarelli and love the idea. Unfortunately them may not be robust enough for me!

Cheers, Paul
Thanks for the welcome Paul, and your help in getting logged on here.
I also felt the Vivarelli is a tad delicate, the earlier Ali one was better, but the carbon one doesn't instill confidence in me.
From what I have read about the Bold one it appears to be well made from top quality materials.
I know one owner who tells me it is a very robust bit of kit.
I'll let you know shortly.
S.
Malcolm
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Malcolm »

I had the original vivarelli many years ago but got rid of it as it wasn't big enough for my needs but the design was great. I hadn't heard of Thinkfish but I recently came across a Swiss reel maker who makes a similar reel and might yet buy one of them

http://www.peuxreels.com/index.p....db8bcfb
Reelman
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Reelman »

Happy to report the Bold reel arrived this morning from these guys.
https://www.flyfishingpoint.net/en/about-us/contact
A very helpful bunch of guys, took 4 days via UPS.
I have to say the whole experience so far has been very positive, it was extremely well packaged, the presentation box is foam lined with clear instructions, and a full two year guarantee, which is easily registered.
Any problems with the reel after that, providing its not your fault, like dropping it, will be repaired free of charge for life, you just pay postage costs.
It looks and feels great, much lighter than I imagined for a semi auto, the spool alone weighs 38 grams!!
It takes a line up to #7 with backing, and there is no need to convert it from LHW to RHW as the line lever sits dead centre.
Very positive drag knob, and smooth resistance when set.
I need to get it lined and have a proper play with it, and as the trout season doesn't open until March 15th here, it may be a while before I can fish it properly, so please be patient.
The silver anodising looks quality, as does the whole reel, very classy feel to it.
S.
mattklara
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by mattklara »

Welcome aboard!
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?" - joesnuffy