PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

single hand underhand/pendulum cast - produces a upside down tight loop

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I learned it while being tested for my membership of the old Association of Professional Game Angling Instructors back in 1996. At the time it was called the "Underhand Cast". That was before the term was popularised for a style of Spey Casting. Hence the confusion. That's why I now call it the Pendulum Cast.

As well as making low shots, it's also useful for popping the fly up at the end of the cast, either to avoid obstructions behind, or for slack line deliveries in front.

It's not the most useful cast in the world, but sometimes it's the only cast.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Malcolm
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Malcolm »

That's a good demo of that cast. I was first shown it in the early 80s at a casting day. With weighted bugs it's difficult to stop the "pop-up when fishing at any distance. Especially when you are not using it regularly!
Morsie
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Morsie »

Clearly the 48K Spectrum can't re-size images.

Let us know when its available Paul. Very glad about the shirt btw.

Jerry Siem told me about a Japanese guy who used it to make a presentation to a going away tarpon, except that he collapsed it with the fly landing in front of the fish but the loop not unrolled landing on the water out in front of the fish, beyond it. When he retrieved the fly there was enough tension to move the fly away from the fish - and it ate. Jerry was told this story by legendary Keys guide Ray Fetcher. Ray also told us about Jerry using this cast to land a fly with extreme delicacy ("like a butterfly with sore feet") in front of a laid up tarpon on a glassy calm morning. As I mentioned earlier its great for landing heavy noisy flies like crabs very quietly.

Morsie
That was the river - this is the sea........
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

That's certainly an interesting use for it, that I hadn't considered Morsie - thanks! Gordy Hill taught me another variation of a going away shot, which from memory was a type of spiral cast/mend.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Malcolm
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Malcolm »

I can certainly see it being use for landing very gently. However that is damned difficult to do reliably - at least for me. Every so often the fly will pop up at the end of the cast - I can do this deliberately but I can't reliably not do it deliberately if you get my drift.

On the other hand the left to right loop where the whole cast is low to the water is so simple to control. Just before the cast has fully extended the slightest of pull backs will make the fly hover for a fraction of a second just inches above the water surface making for the gentlest of touch downs even with my leaded salmon bugs.
flyfishwithme
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by flyfishwithme »

Here is the Italian way of doing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww9H7DqqnR0
I hope this helps.
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

flyfishwithme wrote:Here is the Italian way of doing it:
hi,
outside of Massimo, who happens to be an Italian, what's so 'Italian' about that presentation ?

cheers,
marc
Malcolm
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Malcolm »

flyfishwithme wrote:Here is the Italian way of doing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww9H7DqqnR0
I hope this helps.

It's also the Scottish way of doing it...and also the English way of doing it since I learned the cast from Donald Downs well over 30 years ago!