PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Seychelles - Honeymoon and fishing

Mysis
IB3 Member Level 1

Seychelles - Honeymoon and fishing

Post by Mysis »

Hey Guys,
early may i'll be at bird island and mahe for my honeymoon.
I'm going to take my 9 weight and 11 weight outfit with me.
I already tied some flies as you might see below if upload of the picture has been succesful.
It is my first time flyfishing in tropic salwater.
Do you have any input for me concerning patterns for gt and where to fish for this species.
My setup will be sage xi3 1190 with a tibor gulfstream loaded with an barstool gt intermediate line.
For smaller species i will use an 9weight cts affinity x with a nautilus nv 8/9.
What kind of flies should i take with me and what are the best places to fish?
Cheers,
Stephan
Sudesh
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Sudesh »

Hi Stephan...

Very nice choice for a honeymoon destination. I have not fished on Bird Island, but did at Praslin - shore based and offshore.

There should be some GT's around and the flies that you have tied should be good. Flashy profiles and some Brush or Semper type flies in dark colours (black/purple) should also do the trick.

I suggest that you also tie some clousers, crabs patterns and Salty Buggers.
Clouser colours (size 2/0): chartreuse and white, grey and white, blue and white.
Crabs (size 2 or 1/0): tan
Salty buggers (size 6): white

I saw a lot of Largespot pompano and small Permit in the shallows - the crabs should work for them. There were also plenty (100's) of small palm sized kingies in the shallows - the Salty Bugger is deadly for these and other reef fish, and the Largespot Pompano go dilly for them. The sand flats on the northern part of the island should also produce some bonefish - crabs and Crazy Charlies for these fish.

In terms of places to fish, my suggestion is to focus efforts on the "seaward" side, ie. the eastern side of the island as this is the side on which the swells come onto the island. If you consider the Island to be the shape of a foot/boot pointing downwards, then the "heel" area should be a good spot.

Not sure how much time you will have to explore. It is a small island, so when going for walks, I suggest you take the rod along as well. You will probably see the GT's and other fish cruising the shallows and it will be worth a shot.

Also not sure from the Google pics if you can get out onto the eastern ledges. Will be great if you can. Fish as heavy a tippet as you have - 50lb plus. Just make sure you have good closed shoes otherwise dont venture out there. One small cut on the coral and your entire honeymoon is spoilt.

Good luck with the fishing, and tight lines.

Regards
Sudesh
Bamba Flyfishing Adevntures
www.bamba.co.za
Mysis
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mysis »

Hey Sudesh,
Many thanks for your advices.
I just have some crab patterns left and some crazy charlies will be tied as soon as i will get some calf tail.
Yesterday the tibor gulfstream arrived and i'm impressed about this reel.
Now I will have to buy same flat sneakers and ty some more flies.
Afterwards i'll have to concentrate on preparations of the wedding.
Regards,
Stephan
Malik
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Malik »

Hi Stephan

Your wife and you will have a fantastic stay in Birdisland. But are you sure to take your fishing gear for a honeymoon is a good idea ? (or may be it is a very good idea :D )

I've been in Bird in January 2012 and will return for a week next week :p

Sudesh flies and spot advices are perfect and it is a great thing to walk around the island, rod in hand, for an opportunistic and quick cast to the fish you can see.

I did not see and catch any bone in january, but a lot of big pompano, GT, blue jack fisch and some other strong and beautiful fishes which I don't even know the name.

Pay attention to the uncountable birds when you cast (hope you and your wife like birds, by the way...) : I did catch one with my line, but managed to released it without injury for me and for it.

Hope to find some bone this time. Let you know on the new forum at my return.

Cheers

Malik
Mysis
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mysis »

If I left my gear at home, my wife would call the doctor.
I had my 9 weight rod with me, when i poped the question at a dutch beach last summer.
You never know when bass will appear and start going crazy. ;)
Looking forward to hear from you after your return.
Here are some more streamer i tied yesterday.
Regards,
Stephan
skeg
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by skeg »

I would drop in a few gummy minnows in different sizes...
and a CLOUSER works everywhere...(have some in a 4-6 sizes, too) the smaller ones sometimes are more deadly than the larger flies.
...this BF was taken on a clouser variant what I got from Sudesh... :) :cool:
Peter
"...fish like a demon with a mission"-Sudesh

...just one more last cast
Malik
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Malik »

skeg wrote:I would drop in a few gummy minnows in different sizes...
and a CLOUSER works everywhere...(have some in a 4-6 sizes, too) the smaller ones sometimes are more deadly than the larger flies.
...this BF was taken on a clouser variant what I got from Sudesh... :) :cool:

Beautiful fish Skeg ! You are perfectly right: a gummy minnow tied on hook 800-S size 6 gave me one of my most beautiful BF (Carangue bleue ? ... very similar but a bit smaller than yours... ).
Its a good advise Stefan.
Bye
Malik