PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Med fly fish/family holiday

DBH
IB3 Member Level 1

Med fly fish/family holiday

Post by DBH »

Hi Chaps

Looking for some heat in November for a family holiday. My son and I would love to spend time flyfishing in the salt not to the extravagance of the Bahamas but in the Mediterranean any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
DBH
DBH
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by DBH »

re reading that post its not that clear.........advice on where to go. My fishing trips have got in the way of family holidays, now it has to become part of family holidays

Any one fished costal areas of Morocco,Egipt,Spain what about the Atlantic Canary Islands? where are the most fish and the least people?

End of Febuary may be an option rather than Nov

advice would be welcome.
thefly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by thefly »

DBH
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by DBH »

thefly wrote:Check this out.

http://www.medflyfish.com/
Thanks that looks spot on. I was searching fly fishing by country not by the sea
skeg
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by skeg »

DBH wrote:re reading that post its not that clear.........advice on where to go. My fishing trips have got in the way of family holidays, now it has to become part of family holidays

Any one fished costal areas of Morocco,Egipt,Spain what about the Atlantic Canary Islands? where are the most fish and the least people?

End of Febuary may be an option rather than Nov

advice would be welcome.

most of my attempts to fish the med seas were more ore less unsuccesful...but those attempts were just "let"s try something" - not really determined acts.
What is sure IMHO, that fishing in the mediterranean could be rewarding, but one must know the places and the right time, because fish is more scarce than in the tropics, and places are just harder to fish.
Mullet, bass and mackerel, med.barracuda could be the main target while an occasional pelagic fish can be found, too.

I "fished" on an occasion in Spain around Cadaques, seen big mullet in enormous quantities, and a few times on Lanzarote and Tenerife, where I've seen quite a lot of seabass (and spinning fishermen), but no success. In my case it was bad timing.
There are good places in Croatia, around the Neretva
( http://www.panoramio.com/photo/2924369 ), but the season starts around september...and having a boat is quite an advantage.
But throwing into the bag an 8 weight with an intermediate line and a box of clousers, a few gummy minnows, gurlers, and some BHnymps, and smaller whatnot for mullet doesn't hurt... :)
Peter
"...fish like a demon with a mission"-Sudesh

...just one more last cast
DBH
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by DBH »

Thanks Peter and thanks for the link. May be i should just take a family holiday chuck in a rod and a few flys and take it as it comes save the fishing for the dedicated fishing trips.
skeg
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by skeg »

take the rod, and grab it, if an opportunity shows off...THERE ARE fish, it just requires more time/planning or greater luck.
We've got small basses in Croatia, but seen big fish chasing mullet. The mullets were flying out, and those were in the 30-40 cms range, so it wasn't a pack of baby basses...
I recommend a few exploratory snorkeling- around the choosen area...sometimes what seems "good water" from above, turns out completely empty below.
Chumming could be a good tactic, also, but it requires a bit of an effort.
River inlets could be better for bass.

...so be prepared just to have a few casts from a pier and getting the looks from the locals (and turists...), while yer family still sleeps, or having a capuccino at the bar ine the harbour... :)
Peter

skeg
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by skeg »

uh, I just realised you plan to go in November...
The Neretva delta should be really good in that time, but I'm not sure about the "heat"...
big "streljka" (bluefish) Neretva inlet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR6OA-r_8aQ
smaller one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wa5Lqml7Uw
Peter

MulletFly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by MulletFly »

Hi DBH. I have enjoyed family holidays in Spain for more than 20 years but foolishly did not think of packing fly tackle in the suitcase until I witnessed an incredible bass blitz, in 2007. I fish near to Alicante on the Costa Blanca, where bass, garfish, palometta (a permit relative) and several species of mullet have provided top quality sport. In Spain even the mullet show a pronounced predatory instinct. Here is a link to the report from my visit in June 2012. Best of luck when you go.
Colin
http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/cgi-bin....t=14584
A mullet in the hand is worth two in the surf.
DBH
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by DBH »

Colin

What a fantastic account of your trip all a man needs to know. Do you think you would see the same numbers of fish in February?
MulletFly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by MulletFly »

May is the earliest I have fished the area and fish were certainly plentiful then. A local bait fisher told me that mullet are present all year round and that December/January was the best time for larger bass, which come inshore to feed on small fish. As for February......there's only one way to find out :)
A mullet in the hand is worth two in the surf.
DBH
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by DBH »

Perfect. Thanks for your help

David