PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Sporting MegaStore vs Local Shop - $ vs loyalty and service?

Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Sporting MegaStore vs Local Shop - $ vs loyalty and service?

Post by Eric »

A outdoors sporting megastore just opened in my town (specifically hunting, shooting, fishing, camping and outdoors stuff). The prices are very good and they've got a ton of stuff. Their fly tying supplies are 2 huge aisles, a fair fly selection @ .85 each, and a good bit of equipment with Loomis being their main upper end rod.

Coincidently, it's just a block away from the local fly fishing shop. I got a lot of tips from this place and they’ve been helpful (maybe a bit short of going the extra mile). They run classes and do guiding along with a decent local fishing report (I think it’s a little optimistic). I like the guys but dang! The prices are through the roof in comparison. For example a hackle cape is $35 compared to $16 (for the exact same Metz product). Some of the prices are comparable like tapered leaders and tippet where I saw no difference for Umpqua products. As for equipment, the local shop only carries very high end gear and maybe 1 budget product. They have rod casting, repairs, rental while the megastore doesn’t.

I’m rather torn about where to spend my money. I like the local shop and want to support them, but they have a smaller selection and increased price on tying stuff (which has been the majority of my latest purchases). I don’t want the local shop to go away…

I think I’m going to get the tying stuff cheaper at the megastore and the similar priced products (leader and tippet) at the local shop. As for big purchases, I’m not sure yet. And this doesn’t even bring internet or online purchases into the whole deal.

I don’t hate store corporations, but I don’t want them to oust the local places. Tough situation I think.
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc